PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Just wondering if its common for a new pipe to cause a little tongue bite and be a bit flavorless until smoked awhile?

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Ehh. It could be.
More than likely, its the smoker or the tobacco moisture level.
But, I have had one or two pipes that bit me regardless.
The flavor part can be both. It could be a briar that needs time to open up and be smoked. Or it could be you puffing too hard or fast and causing both bite and tastelessness.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Usually the process of breaking in a pipe consists of smoking it until there is sufficient carbon on the chamber walls to rid the flavor of burning wood from the smoke. I haven't experienced the same issues you asked about, just that of the flavors being affected by the bare wood.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Tongue bite, no. However, I have had a couple pipes be "flavorless" until broken in. I will say, most artisan pipes and certain factories, the pipe is different before break in, but not what you are describing. However, the couple of flavorless pipes were all factory, and likely due to the briar being still wet, not aged, or not from a good region. I won't name names, but I don't think those blocks of briar were ready for life as a pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agreeing with crash, I've had some pipe requiring 40-50 bowls before they were "right". Some artisan pipes, first smoke, good to go. I also think it was the briar used.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Well this one is an Al Pacia Curvy. It may be also that its a bit short and the bowl is VERY wide, not sure but I'll keep smoking it and report back..

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I also think it was the briar used.
Agreed. If it is indeed the pipe and not the tobacco itself, then it probably isn't a very high grade bruyere and has a lot of porosity in it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Breaking in a pipe and tongue bite are not related, in my experience. If there is a relationship, I'd say it was that you tend to focus more on the pipe, puff harder, and overdo the effort, and that gives you tongue bite, but not the fact the pipe is new or being broken in. When you become used to the pipe, you relax and don't puff so hard. Doesn't the Curvy have an extra chamber to cool the smoke? That makes it even less likely to cause tongue bite. Don't blame yourself, just your enthusiasm. Those Curvy pipes are nifty, compact, very handsome.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Two things jump out to me OP. The first is bowl coat. Everyone seems to use a different formula and I have experienced on factory pipes a few occasions were the taste of the coat masked the flavor of the tobacco.
The other big thing is that you are smoking an RC. Folks often comment about a diminishment of flavor with such pipes. I have not noticed this, but I do believe there is less initial flavor impact. Smoking a Castello for example I get a "whoa this is awesome dude" experience at the first puff but with a double chambered pipe it's more like "Darling, fetch the viewing glass won't you, I believe that highlight woven in to our new Qom to be silver thread".

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I believe Crash is on the money on all accounts. As far as wide bowls go I tend to smoke more balkan blends as you do get more of that complexity.
I've always been interested in picking up one of those reverse calabash curvy pipes from Al Pascia.

Status
Not open for further replies.