PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've been looking at and reading about meerschaums and would like to get one for my pipe collection.
I'm hoping to spend about $49-$69 and want something of reasonable quality. It's easy to see that an intricately carved pipe just insn't in that range but that's okay. I can't imagine how long it takes some of these guys to carve the pipes the way they do.
Here's where I'm at so far:
I'm seeing brands such as CAO, IMP, SMS, AKB, and Royal(?). There are also plenty of pipes without reference to maker available. CAO and IMP are out of my budget. I'm not sure if Royal is a manufacturer or just a retailer.
With SMS, AKB, and Royal offering plenty in my price range I'm now stuck. AKB seems to be screw in tenons and not something I want. Are SMS and Royal also screw ins or are they decent?
SMS has a nice looking carved tiger pipe for $59 and Royal has a smooth Dublin for $52.
Are either of these okay or should I be looking at something else? Are there more manufacturers?
All opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I just got a meer from Smokingpipes.com for $55.00 that has the push tenon. It was listed as a no name with case. Scored a lot of nice meers for cheap from them...
Bbpqa4w.jpg

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I bought a cheap AKB recently as an experimental first meerschaum but I am not sure it was worth it. The pipe is very small and I hate the screw in tenon. It is fine as a little tester pipe and I think I like meerschaum enough to invest in something better but I probably will avoid that brand in favour of a recognized carver with a push/pull design. As is often the case, you get what you pay for!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I got this unsmoked meer from Smokingpipes as well $50. Its block meerschaum and has a push tennon. It was also listed as a "no name". Thre's some great deals out there, just be patient.
img_0565-600x450.jpg

Reactions: Man Myth Legend

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
In my experience a new block meerschaum of that price will likely be very small. I've spent so much money hunting for cheap meerschaums that I could have bought a masterpiece by now. And I wouldn't recommend an estate meer unless professional restored, in that case I've wound up inheriting someone else's problem plus I think it's nice to start with a fresh one and be the sole colorist involved..

So unless your looking for a tester pipe I'd get a $5-$10 cob whilst saving between one and two hundred for a substantial piece you can enjoy for a lifetime and then some..

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Weez,I’d bet my lunch money you picked up an IMP. A lot of them have no markings aside from what is on the case. Only a couple of shops use push tenons and the stem and button work on your pipe look very similar to mine.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
In my experience a new block meerschaum of that price will likely be very small
I will respectfully disagree.
The pipe in the picture I posted has a chamber that's 0.88" in dimeter and 1.4" depth. The wall thickness at the top of the bowl is 0.24"
That might not be big enough for some, but I think it compares quite favourably to many briars. I get a good 45 minute smoke out if it.
I think it's nice to start with a fresh one and be the sole colorist involved.
I agree :)

Reactions: BROBS

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
bigpond, I figgured IMP to, But no markings even on the case...Who knows, I'm happy with it...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Meerschaum owner, too busy keeping my stable of briar and cobs smoked. But I prefer the simple traditional shapes in Meers. This is a useful thread for first time buyers. I do find the market confusing. You can spend a lot and still get a screw-in stem. Carving varies widely from unskilled to high art. It isn't always easy to discern the actual Meer from the composite, which is fundamental to what product you're buying. I appreciate some of the carving but am a little turned off by the grandiosity of some of it -- dramatic but not so much what I want for a smoking companion. As for small Meerschaum bowls, or any other small bowls, you can get a full-length smoke with even Group 1 and 2 (pretty small pipes) with flake, plug, coin and rope. A small bowl is ideal with these cuts.

Reactions: UncleRasta

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I called Royal about the pipe I was interested in and it has a piece that screws into the stem and another piece that screws into the shank creating a push fit mortise an tenon. It looks nice but I think I'll pass on it.
I think I'll keep an eye out for one of those no names and hopefully come across something. I'm not in a hurry anyways. I'm just thinking having and enjoying at least one meer would add to and make a more complete pipe smoking experience for me. I have a cob on the way for the same reason and I already have several briars. This PAD thing is getting our of hand, but in a good way! :D

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I do like my CAO, IMP, and SMS pipes. I would avoid the lower end Servi-Meerchaums though, that's where I started and I had four pipes break on me in normal use, some after only 2 or 3 smokes. I had one replaced and it broke as well. In fact, there were so many failures from others as well, that my local tobacconist stopped carrying them all together.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
vintage shops are a great place to find some meers sometimes, I just picked up a no name that I put a new stem on, and cleaned it up. It had some great color building on it, and I got it for $25.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Ordered this "Turkish Estate Unknown Meerschaum" from Smoking Pipes for $65:
004-653-3947.9534.jpg

It looks like it will at least be a good introductory meer.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Pipe arrived today in a CAO box and has a push fit stem. I've never held a meerschaum before and I can't believe how lightweight this thing is!

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
I highly recommend Altinay meerschaum pipes. Very high quality. If you buy a meerschaum pipe for 50 to 60 dollars expect your smoking experience to be poor to substandard. If you are going to buy a meerschaum pipe it is a lifelong investment. Spend the money to reflect this. On another note, I spent good money on a meerschaum pipe from IMP and was not impressed. Again, I recommend Altinay. You will spend money but will be happy you did.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
IMP, Altinay, SMS and Royal are all good. Some of the very best, though pricey, are Altinok, Fikri Baki (sold through Meerschaum Market), and Sadik Yanik (serious art pipes, ranging from moderately expensive to $10,000+). I own two Yaniks and adore them, I've got some vintage SMS pieces that are great, and I've heard nothing but good about Baki/Meerschaum Market and Altinok. Altinay also produces pipes under the Andreas Bauer label, which used to be Austrian with cultured-amber stems, and I don't know about Bauer quality now, but vintage Bauers on eBay (and the lattice-carved Mastercraft meers, made by Bauer in Austria) are great.
CAO are no longer in the business, and any CAOs you find will be vintage, at least from the early 2000s. CAO did have the late Ismet Bekler, but Beklers will set you back $200+ (if you decide to go for one of those, both Rich's Cigars in Portland, OR and Iwan Ries in Chicago have large stock of NIB Beklers). Bekler wasn't *the* greatest carver, but he was very good, and CAO was paying high for the top 10% of meerschaum, then re-grading it themselves and giving the top 10% of that to Bekler. Used ones can sometimes be found on eBay for a song, though are often smoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.