PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That all makes sense, numbersix. So far my zippo seems to do ok with the amount of fuel used. I don't have to refill all that often since I learned how to keep the pipe lit and I haven't noticed any taste from the fuel either. Sometimes I catch a whiff of the odor when first striking but I always wait a second before applying flame to tobacco.
I have no experience with butane. I take it that it has no odor and lasts much longer than the zippo lighter fluid? I imagine that is a plus in itself.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Many love their zippos for pipe smoking, so who am I to say they're wrong? My zippo seemed to lose fuel simply through evaporation and went through flints like nobody's business.
And yes, butane has less odor and the flame is a bit more under control than a zippo. I filled up my colibri only about once every 8-10 days or so. I hear the Old Boy goes even longer and refilling a butane is neat and easy.
Still, I have to say, zippos are classics and reliable, so I can understand sticking with it.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I've tried several: Zippo, Zippo with a butane insert, Bic, Jetline, Old Boy, and matches.
Forget the butane insert - broke after 3 uses, what a mess! The Jetline is a good, cheap lighter, the Zippo is my camping staple but it's a pain to refill all the time, I very rarely use my Old Boy (need to rethink the "good lighter" thing, and I always reach for matches indoors.
I was headed towards a Colbri Connaught II, because Six was so happy with his - but that's a no-go now. Think I'll stick with what I have and put in a wishlist for a Corona Pipemaster for Christmas.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I was headed towards a Colbri Connaught II, because Six was so happy with his - but that's a no-go now. Think I'll stick with what I have and put in a wishlist for a Corona Pipemaster for Christmas.
From what so many wrote in other posts, I think I was one of the lucky ones (but man did I like that lighter).
But I think you're on the right track with the pipemaster. I'd have chosen that one, but the one I really liked (chrome model) is around $300 - too rich for my blood. Plus I just like the lines and look of the Old Boy.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I use a Zippo. I see these threads from time to time and consider picking up another one, but every time someone has a complaint about the function of other lighters, and I've never had a single problem with my zippos, some of which I've had for almost 20 years. So, I just stick with my zippos.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I use a Zippo. I see these threads from time to time and consider picking up another one, but every time someone has a complaint about the function of other lighters, and I've never had a single problem with my zippos, some of which I've had for almost 20 years. So, I just stick with my zippos.
+1

Zippo for me, too.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I like my Sarome PSD9. It has worked well for seven-eight years now. I guess the design is borrowed from Dunhill Rollgas but it's well made (in Japan) and sturdy. It's doesn't work well in in windy outdoors, though.
Apparently Sarome doesn't have a distributor in the US -- at least I haven't seen any US eTailer carrying it. There's a Canadian eBay vendor that has them.
26ty4Jl.jpg

http://www.sarome.com/products/lighter/pipe/psd9.html

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Last night I bit the bullet and bought a Pipe Master from Mars. He had the Chrome Vertical model for $67, can't beat that with a stick. My Xikar Resource is still working but gives me fits now and then and just generally pisses me off.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I've heard good things about THESE lighters, seems cheap enough to take a gamble.
But I too primarily use my Zippo pipe lighter. Lifetime warranty!! :)

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Ok i have a question
what do all of you think on a scale from 1-10, now placing for me (cigar smoker no idea for how id feel pipewise with my very little exp) 1 being butane for like or gas smell or taste, 4 for zippo for gas smell but i barely noticed taste wise and functionality,7 for gas lights like bic for the small and cheap look, and 10 for the old sulfar match i absolutely hate matchs for smoking anything. I dont even use matchs to light my grill in the summer.
1 being the best IYO and 10 being the worst. list a few reason and as many examples you feel to help others who are new or on the fence about a certain product.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
novicemaker: I think you stray a bit from the main topic. Please, feel free to start your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.