PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
I recently used a Mason jar to make & shake a homemade dressing. When I shook it, a little of the dressing came out. Has this happened to you before, and is the sealed (a cap, screw ring type )?

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Like bob says, give them time, or warm the glass up a bit before you put the lid on - when it cools down it will seal the cap for you.

And those caps can get really secure, I've got a few jars that became quite tough to open.
This is what the canning process does. I find I can get a satisfactory seal as long as the glass sealing surface and the cap are clean. Any debris and the jar won't tightly seal. Hand-tight does the job.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I use a Food Saver vacuum sealer with accessory attachment to seal all the mason jars I keep tobacco in for storage. The seal is so tight I need to use the bottle opener portion of one of those folding wine corkscrews to get the lid off.

Reactions: waznyf and JOHN72
The two part lids aren't designed to be just tightened by hand to set a seal. The ring is designed to just hold the lid in place until the lid seats under pressure. In tobacco, I heat the jars slightly, but it is the action of the enzymes or magic bugs eating up the o2 that sets the seal.
Just twisting a jar ring to as tight as possible doesn't set the lid to its tightest.

On jarring and canning forums, Ball recommends removing the rings after canning, to allow a broken seal to be more obvious. I do this with tobaccos also.

The lid does make contact with the ring, it just doesn't put as much tension or torque as you'd think. Really cranking it down, most likely just sets the ring harder, not necessarily the lid.