PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Beefeater, I'm in Maryland. Your local vendor of fine beverages should be able to order Johny Walker Double Black for you. You can order it online and have it delivered if you live in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NE, NJ, NV, NY, SC, TN, TX, WA, and WI.
Pax
PS... I hope Captain Bob is retired from aviating.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Beefeater, I'm in Maryland. JWDouble Black is a limited release blend and can be hard to find. Easiest way to get it is to have your local vendor of fine beverages find it and orderlack for you. You can order it online and have it delivered if you live in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NE, NJ, NV, NY, SC, TN, TX, WA, and WI.
Here is a nice review and story on JWDB. BTW, Laguvalin is also in the blend.
http://www.tastingpanelmag.com/Publication/SWS-NV/2011/December-2011/Seeing-Double-Black.aspx#.VOd3ofnF_To
Pax
PS... I hope Captain Bob is retired from aviating.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I totally forgot Ledaig from the ancestral home. Ledaig and Tobermory are from the same distillery, Ledaig is just more generously peated.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
The only Scotch's that I have not liked are among those that brag about age, specifically 30 Year! They all taste to me like model airplane glue. For me it is all about taste and not age or price. Here is a true story about my "Gin" experience... I was in Portugal on vacation from Wisconsin. I stopped at a tavern and sat on a bar stool next to a man that was either drinking Vodka or Gin. I ordered Beefeaters Gin on the rocks. When it was delivered he said that he figured that I was from America. I told him, I was. He said he was from London and he was also drinking Gin on the rocks. He asked me why I ordered Beefeaters? I told him that was a preferred Gin in Wisconsin "top-shelf" and pricy! He said the best Gin is what he was drinking. I asked what it was and he answered with a question: "have you ever heard of Fleischmann's Gin from Kentucky, USA"? I said YES! It is good but it is bottom shelf! "Well, he said, Fleischmann's is top shelf in London where I come from and Beefeater's is bottom shelf". "Nobody in London buys Beefeater's Gin!" My response was simple. I said, "we are both being had"!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Captain Bob's post on Clan McGregor got me curious. I hadn't tried this blend before and even though a bottom shelf scotch, you never can tell if you like anything until you taste it.
So, I picked up a bottle of the 80 proof Clan McGregor Friday night. It is definitely bottom shelf. At $14.00, it was the cheapest Scotch in the store, coming in at $6 or 7 less than Passport.
color: very light stray, essentially the color of piss after a 6 pack.

Bouquet: weak, some floral, slightly sharp.
Palate: Thin, weak, like watered down Dewars. Some hints of cinnamon and fruits, vanilla, pepper accents. but mostly grains with slightly hot alcohol back taste.
Finish: Again, thin, weak, slight alcohol bite, some pepper.
Conclusion: Surprisingly drinkable. Might be the ticket for those who don't like the smokey peat of some of the single malts. Too grainy and sharp with no balance when drunk neat. Best on the rocks. Adding any water at all would dilute it to the point where it would taste like the melted dregs of a good Scotch. If your are purpose is to drink a LOT of booze, then this would be worthwhile. I actually prefer it over Passport but that isn't really saying anything.
If you're into rusty nails, this might make a good base, although I didn't mix one up. This is light enough to serve to those who don't really like whisky.
Value: Excellent. Top of the bottom shelf scotches, at least in my experience. There are lots of Scotches that cost more that are down right offensive. This would be a good summer Scotch to serve at backyard Bar-b-ques. I think I'm going to offer this along with some of my top shelf bottles at my next men's smoker. It will be interesting to see what kind of reactions it gets.
Pax

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
A quick note on the regions. Speyside and Highland are two different regions. Single Malt is divided into Highland, Lowland, Speyside and Islay. Islay is a true jewel of the world. I know of no other part of the world which produces such amazing stuff. Cognac? Well, I have tried Louis XIII and it is sublime, but I still think Islay has the edge.

roderick

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Great topic. Clearly I have to get out to the liquor store-so many interesting scotches to try. My "Gateway" scotch was Glenlivet and I also like Dalwhinnie. Most recently I have discovered the awesome and crazily smokey taste of Ardbeg which is sure become a go-to for me.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Regarding the HappyPipers note on the regions. If you drink single malts somewhat regularly, you will be able to amaze your friends in blind taste tests, by identifying the region from which the Scotch was distilled, and sometimes, the distillerie.
It really isn't such a great feat when you think about it, since there are only 5 regions. Most of the members here can smoke a blend blindfolded and readily tell you whether it is a burley, VaPer, English, or SoapLand and sometimes can name the blender if not the specific blend.
Here is a map of the Scottish distilleries and regions.
Pax
http://www.visitscotland.com/en-us/about/food-drink/whisky/distilleries/

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"A quick note on the regions. Speyside and Highland are two different regions. Single Malt is divided into Highland, Lowland, Speyside and Islay."
Please accept my apology. I should have been more clear:
Longmorn is a Highlands Region - Speyside District.
Strathisla is another excellent Highlands Region - Speyside District.
Oban for a Highlands Region - Western Highlands District.

Aug 14, 2012
I never cared for single malt. I drink JW double black neat or with a little ice, prefer Chivas when drinking beer.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I just bought a strange one. Not quite finished my first glass of it; Glen Moray "Classic", which does not have an age on the bottle. It was only a tiny bit more expensive than a std Grouse, but it is a Speyide Single Malt. I believe it is only about 5 years old- the legal minimum is 3 years- and it shows. It's the only malt I've ever tried which benefits from being whisked! Seriously, a vigorous 30 seconds with a handwhisk does wonders for this dram. It is very young, defnitely not something you'd give friend to impress him, but I believe that as an educational purchase it is far more important than yet another 12 year old favorite. It is not umpleasant [once whisked] but the nearest thing it reminds me of is tequila. Might be great in the right cocktail. I do think one should try this and really study it. Maybe a group-buy for a whisky club? It would certainly be a corker to test a snob or know-it-all!
addendum:- I've just whisked myself another glass and squeezed literally two drops of lemon juice into it. Wow! This is something one could never do with a 'real' malt. I recommend this unusual dram to the members

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
This weekend I had a dinner at a five-star restaurant and, knowing the owner, I asked him to pick a Scotch for me before dinner. He selected Johnny Walker "Green" served neat. It was very good and I really liked it. The cost was $15.00 for each of the two I ordered and sipped. Quite expensive! I'll have to price it at the liquor store.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I thought I recalled reading that Johnny Walker was phasing out their Green Label. If you find a bottle I would suggest scooping it up.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I've got a birthday coming up later this month. The wife asked what I wanted, and I told her a bottle of Lagavulin. Since we live in east Tennessee, we have to drive at least half an hour to buy anything other than beer and moonshine. So while we were in Knoxville yesterday, she went ahead and purchased my bottle. It now sits on top of a bookshelf in out bedroom taunting me.
As for my history witch scotch, she bought me a bottle of Glenlivet 12 a couple years ago. I enjoyed it, but I still prefer Irish or bourbon. I got a bottle of Chivas for Christmas 2013. I was not a fan. Can't wait to open the Lagavulin, though. Looking at the chart above and knowing my palate, it seems like it might be the perfect scotch for me.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Yet another Laphroaig fan here, though I have yet to try a single-malt that I wouldn't willingly try again. Even Glengoyne, which is not peated at all.
Taking notes - my wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland for our 25th wedding anniversary, and distilleries are high on our list of destinations. 8)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Johnny Walker offers Johnny Walker Red, Black, Double black, Green, Gold and Blue. The company has a traveling tasting geared towards the industry, e.g., retailers and hospitality. It is a 360 degree multi-media affair with history, brand critiques and serving suggestions.
The most unique and delightful presentation was to put a bottle of JW Gold in your freezer overnight or for a day. Pour the the thickened Scotch into a chilled shot glass. As the drink warms in your mouth, the flavors are released slowly at first, then faster, and finally a crescendo of beautiful herbs, flowers, and spice explodes as the full palette becomes fully warmed. It is a spectacular experience, especially for a Summer evening. You really have to try it.
Oh, and it tastes great served neat at room temperature.
JW Owner Diago discontinued Gold Label 18 year old and Green label, replacing it with Gold Label Reserve and Platinum Label 18 Year Old. I honestly will not miss the Green but the Platinum should be worthy successor to Gold Label 18 year old, albeit at a higher price, naturally. I believe Platinum can be had for about $100 a bottle - which is a beautiful design by the way.
If you live in the right state, Johnny Walker will deliver it right to your doorstep.
Pax

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Way to high Yaddy. I suspect that politicians are even deeper in your pocket where you live than they are here in the Northeast. But even here, they're in so deep into my pockets, that they're pulling lint off my socks.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've already commented here on my preferences for scotch, and they are in agreement with many others. Yes I like Islay scotches best, and don't mind the iodine flavor, but I drink White Horse blended scotch regularly.
So I was out of town with my wife for her to get a double root canal through her bridge, and we decided she needed some medicine after the process. Went to a liquor store that carries a huge selection of everything, and among a couple of other items we were getting I decided to pick up a bottle of White Horse. A member of the staff there who's usually quite helpful asked me about it and I explained why I was buying it. He picked up a bottle of scotch called Gordon Graham's Black Bottle, a blended scotch as well. He said if I liked smokey Islay type scotch I should try this. So I spent a bit more than I liked but decided to give it a try. I gotta say, it was not smokey, or even anything remotely like any Islay scotch. I mean White Horse in not in the same league as most Islay scotches, but there is some relation there. This was a totally average blended scotch for me. It wasn't bad, just nothing that stood out for me. I guess I'll go back to the White Horse until I can afford the best.
Anyone else tried this Black Bottle scotch? I read a little about it, and evidently they changed the formula from what they were selling a few years ago. Most folks liked the older style blend that I guess had a smokey taste to it. Oh well, live and learn... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.