PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I'm not sure if I just "scored" or not; was out today at a Vintage shop and asked about pipes. While they had a few, none really interested me, but the proprietor asked if I was a collector or did I smoke. I confirmed that I did smoke my pipes casually and he reached into his pocket and pulled out a 50g unopened tin of Gallaher's Rich Dark Honeydew Flake. He said that he couldn't sell it at the store since he wasn't tobacco licensed and just gave me the tin and told me to enjoy.
So - all you experienced "TAD-ers" - what did I get?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Heck yeah you scored. If the seal held true that should be a very fine smoke. Enjoy and let us know what you think. After all, you're not out anything.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Thanks all for the fast responses and input. The seal appears intact; cardboard printing still lies flat (but one can smell the tobacco). The tin itself appears to be the newer design (judging by The Googler's Images) - is the rectangle, black topped tin - printing has the white "shield" top center. The tin itself is almost perfect, no dents, scratches, discoloration or apparent rust.
I will consider myself fortunate and open her up one day soon for a smoke.
Had this been a tin of Penzance, I wouldn't have asked the question; however, I would have posted a video of me dancing like Yukon Cornelius. :lol:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Score? I should compare compare your find to scoring the winning goal in the cup final! What you have there is one of the finest tobaccos that have come out of the British isles. I got a sealed tin I paid a small fortune for, & I count myself very lucky. I'm restricting myself to a bowl every 2 weeks, it's a tremendous smoke. Hope you enjoy it as much as me you lucky man!

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Congrats. I had bid on an old sealed tin about a month ago but lost out. I was curious myself but sounds like from the responses you've struck it rich. Enjoy it someday, and let us know what you think about it

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
(but one can smell the tobacco).
This may mean there is some leakage somewhere. It may be a little dry and a tell-tale sign the aging process will have been compromised. If so some hydration may be needed to may it smoke better.
Great find!

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
(but one can smell the tobacco).
This may mean there is some leakage somewhere. It may be a little dry and a tell-tale sign the aging process will have been compromised. If so some hydration may be needed to may it smoke better.
As I review the tin even more, I fear this to be true and may open it sooner than later. The thin rubber seal in the lid has a small amount of rust I didn't see before, so could be from some evaporation. I'll probably pick up a cob to try it.
Still a little floored at the gift; normally I'd expect Mixture 79. 8O

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I've rehydrated and smoked some ~1990 Rich Dark Honeydew, but mine was the shag cut. It's pretty unique and well worth trying out.

Status
Not open for further replies.