PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
So I just got an Irish Seconds pipe in, and I can see why it was a seconds pipe haha! Besides a lot of fills and crooked drilling, the mortise is scorched! I tested the draw and you can definitely taste/smell the charred wood.

So I guess my question is this: is there anything that will lessen this taste? 20220505_154550.jpg20220505_155127.jpg

20220505_154211.jpg

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Looks more like smoke staining like the inside of a reverse calabash.
Pretty sure that it burning from a tool spinning. It smells and looks like when someone uses a dull bit to drill hard wood, and it heats up to the point of smoking. Not saying that happened here, but similar situations have happened to me, and this is reminiscent of that

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
nothing wrong with the drilling on a pipe of that style.
You mean with the draft hole in the chamber being off center? That's not even the major concern for me. It was completely plugged (no air movement whatsoever) and seems to be drilled higher than my Peterson. I'm sure it'll be fine... At least I hope haha. It's just a work/camp pipe, which is why I went with the seconds

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Are you sure the taste/smell isn't coming from the chamber?

In any event, a very hot water flush will sweeten both of them up.
Perhaps, although the smell triggers memories of burned wood, and the mortise looks like it a bit.

Anyways, tell me more about this hot water flush! Just as hot as tap water gets? How long do you flush the pipe for? Is that just for pipes for bowl coatings, or is that for bare bowls as well?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Perhaps, although the smell triggers memories of burned wood, and the mortise looks like it a bit.

Anyways, tell me more about this hot water flush! Just as hot as tap water gets? How long do you flush the pipe for? Is that just for pipes for bowl coatings, or is that for bare bowls as well?
You can find days worth of reading on this topic with this forum alone.
Flush for about 30 seconds with hot water to remove coatings or to clean smoked pipes. Leave the stem on. Try to avoid getting the finish wet as it may dull but some wax will take care of that easy enough.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
You can find days worth of reading on this topic with this forum alone.
Flush for about 30 seconds with hot water to remove coatings or to clean smoked pipes. Leave the stem on. Try to avoid getting the finish wet as it may dull but some wax will take care of that easy enough.
I forgot to mention that you will need to dry the pipe with paper towels and pipe cleaners post flushing puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pretty much it. I get the tap water as hot as it will go, and run it 15-30 seconds down the chamber and out the bit.

Frankly, I don''t often wipe the chamber with a paper towel nor dry the airway, though I recommend doing so. I find it not necessary when you have a lot of pipes that can easily dry in a day or overnight, or for many days.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You mean with the draft hole in the chamber being off center? That's not even the major concern for me. It was completely plugged (no air movement whatsoever) and seems to be drilled higher than my Peterson. I'm sure it'll be fine... At least I hope haha. It's just a work/camp pipe, which is why I went with the seconds
didn't really notice it is drilled pretty high up. Well as long as you know that the draft hole is the bottom of the smokable area of the chamber. I assume the pluggedness has been cured. Certainly is a good thing to have a work camp pipe, personally I think falcons work perfectly for that role.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I wanted to try out an unfinished, raw, briar(because they take on colour with use), so I picked up a Molina(on the low end of the price scale). The draw was terrible, and after less than a bowl of tobacco, it stopped completely ~ couldn't even get a pipe cleaner through. Turns out, there was a hunk of wood stuck inside that they did not fully remove when it was drilled!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I wanted to try out an unfinished, raw, briar(because they take on colour with use), so I picked up a Molina(on the low end of the price scale). The draw was terrible, and after less than a bowl of tobacco, it stopped completely ~ couldn't even get a pipe cleaner through. Turns out, there was a hunk of wood stuck inside that they did not fully remove when it was drilled!
How is the draw now?