PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Recently received this (from Ebay). Amazing how little info there is on some pipes on the whole darn internet (rebornpipes had best info). From what I can find, this is a German-made pipe and I'd guess from the 1960s or 70s. I'd describe it as Schowa Selected Danish-style Smooth Dublin. It had a (dirty) EGRA Heibe Nr. 3 filter in it, which is a match for the Denicotea No. 3 paper filters (4mm x 52mm). Needed a fair amount of cleaning (but no reaming), total oxyclean/micromesh treatment for the stem, and a final bit of heat gun work to ease a sideways bend in the stem. Now cleaned and sterilized and ready to smoke. I just love this style. Thinking about what danish or german-made tobacco I should introduce it to...
IMG_2683.jpg
IMG_2681.jpg
IMG_2680.jpg

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I was considering opening a tin of W.O. Larsen Signature for this Schowa, but though Danish, Signature isn't made in Germany. Considering that, whenever it is opened, it will default to the only W.O. Larsen pipe I have (a little Zulu). No brainer!

My tin of Sillem's Blue - as 'Danish' of an aro you can get is made in Germany - so maybe the Schowa now has a new blend to call it's own...? The unnamed little carved Dublin I am currently using for the Sillem's seems to be working fine with it. Hmm.. what other German-made tobaccos do I have? I'm really thinking virginia-based for this Schowa. And Danish-style. And German. Not an English blend, no latakia. I'll have to explore my catalog... ah! Sillem’s Copenhagen Blend? Can one get more Danish German than that? It's on the short-list...

All have 18mm dia. chamber, depth 33mm (except Zulu @ 36mm.)*
IMG_2690.jpg

*"Know Your Pipe!"

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I was considering opening a tin of W.O. Larsen Signature for this Schowa, but though Danish, Signature isn't made in Germany. Considering that, whenever it is opened, it will default to the only W.O. Larsen pipe I have (a little Zulu). No brainer!

*"Know Your Pipe!"
Correction: the Zulu is not a W.Ø. Larsen, it is a WDC Milano. oops. I have no Larsen pipe. Nothing speaking for the W.Ø. Larsen Signature aro yet...

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Recently received this (from Ebay). Amazing how little info there is on some pipes on the whole darn internet (rebornpipes had best info). From what I can find, this is a German-made pipe and I'd guess from the 1960s or 70s. I'd describe it as Schowa Selected Danish-style Smooth Dublin. It had a (dirty) EGRA Heibe Nr. 3 filter in it, which is a match for the Denicotea No. 3 paper filters (4mm x 52mm). Needed a fair amount of cleaning (but no reaming), total oxyclean/micromesh treatment for the stem, and a final bit of heat gun work to ease a sideways bend in the stem. Now cleaned and sterilized and ready to smoke. I just love this style. Thinking about what danish or german-made tobacco I should introduce it to...
View attachment 188209
View attachment 188210
View attachment 188211

Reactions: Scottmi

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Guestimating from this site, looks like Schowa (A. Schum Söhne) operated from 1919 to 2003 give or take a year either end. and according to letterhead says founded in 1877.
Schowa letterhead.JPG

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
Hi,
and congrats to your new pipe!
As far as i know, Schowa was a wholesaler for smoking accesories and souvenirs, so i'm guessing your pipe is made by Heibe. The Shape is also very typical for this manufacturer.
I'm also guessing your pipe is older, maybe 50-60's- ish. In the 70's 9mm filters became so popular, that such pipes almost vanished from the shops.
If you're looking for "German Style" Tobacco of that date, it's getting pretty hard to find something on the US- Market i guess. Oriental tobaccos, and such with Java- leaf where pretty popular in german speaking areas during 40-60s, especially shag cut. But danish and dutch style became increasingly poplular in the 60s.
Maybe Amphora Full would be my recommentation...
View attachment 188209
View attachment 188210
View attachment 188211

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Hi,
and congrats to your new pipe!
As far as i know, Schowa was a wholesaler for smoking accesories and souvenirs, so i'm guessing your pipe is made by Heibe. The Shape is also very typical for this manufacturer.
I'm also guessing your pipe is older, maybe 50-60's- ish. In the 70's 9mm filters became so popular, that such pipes almost vanished from the shops.
If you're looking for "German Style" Tobacco of that date, it's getting pretty hard to find something on the US- Market i guess. Oriental tobaccos, and such with Java- leaf where pretty popular in german speaking areas during 40-60s, especially shag cut. But danish and dutch style became increasingly poplular in the 60s.
Maybe Amphora Full would be my recommentation...
Wealth of information, Chris --Thank you! I wondered if was a bit older... 50's-60's will be my working bracket. I do love this shape (and I absolutely adore the Becker featured in the banner at LePipe.it ). Turns out I have a half pouch of old DE Amphora Full Aroma in my box of open tobaccos... Can't hurt to try it. puffy Ordered up some filters for it. Interested to see how it performs with and without... Danke Sehr!

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
Wealth of information, Chris --Thank you! I wondered if was a bit older... 50's-60's will be my working bracket. I do love this shape (and I absolutely adore the Becker featured in the banner at LePipe.it ). Turns out I have a half pouch of old DE Amphora Full Aroma in my box of open tobaccos... Can't hurt to try it. puffy Ordered up some filters for it. Interested to see how it performs with and without... Danke Sehr!
Always a pleasure! If you have a heart for old Pipes, have you checked out the Brulor Pipes from the 40's we have in our shop?

Dolomitico

Lurker
Jun 2, 2022
View attachment 188209
View attachment 188210
View attachment 188211
Very good shape. I love it 🔥

Thank you for the information since there is not too many information on the web about showa pipes.

Ps: this is my showa with a heavy rustication on it. İ love the colors on it, also. Red and yellow dominated by dark black 🤘🤘🤘

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-17-21-30-35-499_com.instagram.android.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-17-21-30-35-499_com.instagram.android.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2023-03-17-21-27-42-506_com.instagram.android~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-17-21-27-42-506_com.instagram.android~2.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Scottmi

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
View attachment 188209
View attachment 188210
View attachment 188211

Yes there is little to find on the internet about those pipes, because most they were produced in the GDR, and not highly regarded, just pipes. Here is a source I found as I’ve been looking for mine stamped “Old Briar”, sorry it’s in German: Information DDR-Pfeifen - Pipes from the GDR - http://www.pipendoge.de/DDR_INFO.HTM

The text reflects also on the economically and social aspects of pipe smoking in the German Democratic Republic and it’s decline.

Here is mine:
2AB4B4FF-E238-469A-92F1-23A8E980BBC4.jpeg