PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
What makes the taste of tobacco stick in the palate so much more persistently than anything else sticks?

I can eat any food in the evening, brush my teeth, and wake up in the morning with no aftertaste of that food.

But if I smoke in the evening and brush my teeth, I wake up tasting tobacco. Why?

I'm not at all opposed to the taste -- I like it (!) -- but I'm wondering if there's a way to keep carcinogens from hanging out in my mouth longer than they need to.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I don’t know the science, but I do know that when I began to smoke mainly straight, uncased, untopped tobacco, the morning aftertaste phenomenon became much less pronounced. One of the main reasons I smoke minimally adulterated tobacco—though certainly not the only reason—is that I find they are gentler on the mouth all around .

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
Tongue scraper at night! Also, I don't seem to get the morning baccy breathe if I drink a tall glass of water while I'm smoking in the evening. Still get the good aftertaste after the session though. Do you drink anything while you smoke?

As to the science, I would surmise that the combination of reduced saliva production and drying of the mucosa leads to a longer retention of tobacco/combustion related chemicals. Since you are not actively swallowing and producing as much saliva during sleep, it isn't rinsed. Hydration really helps me.

Re: carcinogens - You know this, but once you put them in your mouth, they are in your body and will put you at risk no matter what you do. Make sure your doctor knows you smoke and advocate for surveillance. I get a laryngoscopy annually (easy 60 second in-office procedure through the nose), EGD every 3 years, and colonoscopy every 5. Edit: and see a dentist twice annually!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I would think the finer particles of the smoke get embedded between the papillae of the tongue or adhere to the plaque in your mouth, whereas food particles, not so much. I suspect dragging a piece of floss across your tongue would achieve the same effect of a tongue scraper and remove a good amount of plaque that might be coating your tongue.

Reactions: Nevaditude and SBC

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
I used to use a smokers toothpaste, it was actually powder and then use a mouthwash, can't get the powder anymore so I switched to using a charcoal based toothpaste and this works better than the old powder, my teeth are cleaner and no aftertaste, I still finish off with a good dental mouthwash.
I really like the charcoal toothpaste too, especially after a burley heavy blend. Works really well for me when I brush my tongue with it. Then follow up with "mild mint" biotene rinse, and it feels like I never smoked.

Reactions: SBC and Nevaditude
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin