PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Reading all of this reminds me why, for all its insanity, I'm glad I work in the entertainment business. Because our industry, unlike so many others, set up its own healthcare plan as a non-profit trust fund, we're been largely spared the chaos and financial havoc that the Medical Industrial Complex is wreaking on families and businesses both.
I get hired because I have a proven track record at being excellent at what I do, and easy to work with, under all manner of conditions. So far, no one demands intrusive information, blood tests, cavity searches, etc.
It's a very unstable workplace that is project based. You don't get laid off once in a while, you get laid off constantly, and it's the connections and trust that you build by constantly delivering the best possible work that keeps you employed. We're still cogs, but we're very high quality and often unique cogs who operate very much like independent contractors.
Warren is correct. The employer has every right to make any legal and constitutional demands it finds necessary, and if you don't like it, go elsewhere or take the risk and start your own business. The only reason that I have a few nickels in the bank is because I did the cog thing to keep a constant income while I took financial risks to partner in a side business that has done well for me.
Employment is increasingly becoming impermanent anyways. More industries will be switching to a project based hiring and lay off system as it saves them money. They just need to keep a minimal core group to maintain cohesion. You will increasingly be responsible for your survival.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
What i think its crazy, its that people go to the rigorous hiring procces like most people who get drug tested, we gladly take it thinking it will be fine, since you don't do drugs, but then at the end of the procces you dont get hired because they din't mentioned that they don't gire if you are positive for nicotine, most young guys go in there with out knowing about this, they should let people know from the start that they test for this.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
We've always been responsible for our own survival, so I guess I don't really get that last sentence, Jesse. I've never worked a union job, and wish healthcare and employment were as far removed from each other as possible.
It's interesting to me that you mention Medical Industrial Complex. Paradoxically, medical insurance has nothing to do with actual medical care. Providing "medical insurance" is simply the instrument they chose as a means to gather capital, invest it in other interests on behalf of the company, and reap the profit of those investments. It's not a big "health care emergency fund" where everyone pools their premiums, and then costs are paid out of that pool. Medical insurance is simply a way for investors to move money around, hopefully for a profit to them.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
One of they guys at work came in through a temp agency and was trying to get hired, he was a strong young man 23 years old , worked hard and was very helpful, we needed some one like that in our team, he would even work holidays, but he went out to a party, had a couple of drinks and smoked a couple of cigarettes, he had an interview on friday, pass the drug test but faild cigarette test, they told him to try again in 180 days, this guy does not buy packs or whole cartons, he just happen to smoke a couple of cigarettes l, i have never seen him smoke or take smoke breaks, he told me he dont even smoke cigarettes, just once in a blue moon, and it's a shame to not hire a really good worker because of this new rule, they dint let him know about this, he went in blind, if he would have known about this, he would not even had touched a cigarette, they even gave him a pamphlet to get help to recover from his smoking addiction and now he has to try again in 180 days.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We've always been responsible for our own survival, so I guess I don't really get that last sentence, Jesse.
For generations, people sought full time long term employment. Working 20, 30, 40 years at a job for a home, money to raise a family, a pension and a gold watch, so to speak. To the extent that people were counting on stable employment in a company they were relying on others for their survival. That's not been the case in my industry since the major studios shut down departments and became largely rental stages and support services, about 40 years or so. Staff positions are minimal. For many people who believe their industries offer long term stable employment, change and instability is coming. Project based hiring is being considered much more widely than before.
We have our own clinics and hospital contracts to service the industry and we use the money for treatment, and to the greatest extent possible, not to line the pockets of investors and speculators. To qualify for coverage one has to work a minimum number of hours to keep it active, and that minimum isn't negligible. It's the one stable part of an otherwise completely unstable workplace. The people who started this were pretty farseeing. The Plans go back to the 1920's before unionization. The Plans come from a time when some employers saw themselves as part of the community in which they ran their businesses.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Living in Europe this discussion is very alien to me. I'm glad it is that way.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I would not simply to agree any of aforementoned teste, unless its a normal drug test,I'd give a shit to employeers

like that forementioned,and better would sit at home, I also do have my dignity, What the heck these kind of employers thinking they are? Simly Stalinsts and only

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Just went through my tobacco cessation program at work a few weeks ago. My employer tests for nicotine also. Corporations will be deciding your grandchildren fate and freedoms, not your shitty government system.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
We had our insurance meetings at work last week.
Starting this spring we will have a "voluntary health screening".

If you partake you get a discount on your rate.
To get the discount the following years you need to "improve your score".
I'm a little on the sweet side myself (type 2) but have to take shots.

I'm considering skipping a shot the morning of the test for the first year.
That will make my chances of improving a little better the following year...
My younger brother works for a place that offers a discount if he wears a gadget that measures his steps.

He has to average a certain amount every day. He also gets a deduction because he belongs to a gym.
In my eyes as long as I show up everyday and do my job, its "none ya". Been at this one 16 years, they don't ask me to make decisions that effect the companies future, so they can stay out of mine.
We both have skin in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.