PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
Came across this on ebay, being sold by a vendor in the Ukraine (item 170743117922); looks like a nice piece of carving, very unusual, although am uncertain about the quality....and I feel I would need to be Saruman or possibly Dracula to look good smoking it ;)
KGrHqNg0E1fwR7ZrBNYjnel94Q0_12.jpg

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have seen meers that look just like that. That particular pipe happens to be the first I have seen carved in wood.

herbinedave is right, it does look cool!

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Oh wow...I'm not one for fancy pipes but that is a beauty. That would look great as a decoration even if its not really smokable.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have two pear wood pipes from the Ukraine. I am betting it is pear. Much better carving than most claw pipes.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Winton is right, nearly all of there pipes I've seen from Ukraine makers are pearwood, which in my experience is a good substitute for Briar, but there's nothing like the real thing I'll say :puffy:
and yeah I'm not sure it would be possible to avoid looking sinister smoking that one.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I would dig that even if it wasn't a functioning pipe...awesome wood carving skills.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have actually seen one in that shape in briar, cant remember where but it was definitely briar, with out a doubt, you can tell when you hold it, it was sick.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
@cortezattic
yes, the first thing i thought when i saw the Talbert pipes was "HP Lovecraft" and it was no surprise to see that some of the pipes are named after Lovecraft stories...seriously weird but beautifully carved

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Yanik makes some skull pipes that look pretty gnarly:
http://www.syanik.com/
Ill just give you all that because the actual pages on the site load weird sometimes.
ebay always has some demon meers on there too.
This one though, kinda takes the cake for me, creepy, I doubt I could smoke it, its pretty cool though:

http://www.downiepipes.com/zombie.html

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I see a lot of Ukrainian pipes on ebay, i'd like to see some more feedback from owners overall impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.