PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I guess most would say I have an abundance of pipe tobacco. I often fall into the trap and go on buying sprees when I feel something I want will not be available anymore or may be difficult or more expensive in the future. I am trying to be more disciplined and less emotional with my spending.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm with these two gentlemen above. Guess a number of us are a bit anxious about the current tobacco politics and their possible dire outcomes.
I don't disregard the biblical advice either. Who knows whether I'll get run over by a lorry to-morrow, and then who's gonna get to smoke all the tins I amassed? (Hope the toby at least get smoked, and not thrown in the garbage by those sorting out my former possessions because they belong to the anti-smoking movement.)

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
brightleaf "I do not operate on the principle of scarcity or abundance. My choices are much more limited by available money."
sablebrush52 "So wouldn't a scarcity of money affect your purchases? It certainly did mine."
Money is needed in my life, just as it is in most people's. Having more would help me and allow me to help those that I care about, who also never seem to have enough. Scarcity is something I am very familiar with.
The principle of scarcity that I took the OP as referring to, was of a scarcity of availability, or future availability of tobacco. I think he was asking, if tobacco was expected to be abundant in quantity and selection in the future, would you still cellar?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
if tobacco was expected to be abundant in quantity and selection in the future, would you still cellar?
Yes. Royal Yacht is even more delicious with a couple of years on it.
My concerns are mostly for the future of humanity and the preservation of good things because they are loved. The anti-smoking movement is just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Have over 100 pipes an I smoke about 1/4 of em. Have about 60 diff blends of baccy an I smoke bout 6 of em. Wife just shakes her head an smiles. Fortunately resources have never been a problem an we are both a bit spoiled. Pipes an baccy, 4 wheeler ans motorcycle for me. Purses, shoes, boots, scarves, hats and jackets for her. Doesn't really make sense but it's the journey thru our short life that counts

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Short life... doesn't really make sense... good point. I'm going to quit collecting pipes and start collecting coffins. I wonder if they gain value over time.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Deathmetal:
Sort life indeed Mate. We only git 3.5 - 4 score years. The first 20 years we cannot afford nothing. The last 10-20 yrs we have everything we need and many ot the things we want. 80 - 100 years is indeed a short time when one looks at the big picture.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I agree. I am one of those odd people who would have no problem being eternal, which is a heady thing to consider when you think of your hundred-millionth shower or shaving for the billionth time. But still, there's always something interesting going on in life. Either that, or I'm easily amused.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The principle of scarcity that I took the OP as referring to, was of a scarcity of availability, or future availability of tobacco. I think he was asking, if tobacco was expected to be abundant in quantity and selection in the future, would you still cellar?
That makes sense. I'd still cellar because I like many tobaccos that have aged for 5 or more years. Now if B&M's were regularly selling aged blends at the same price as fresh, I wouldn't cellar a thing.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I operate on the principle of never ending rise of cost. Buying what I can when I can before it goes above cost that I am comfortable paying.

What he said! The cost of Condor has already signicantly increased since I first started buying it and I’ve noticed that every three months or so the price increases by about $1.50 per 20 plugs. Yes, I’m also scared that it will someday be pulled off the shelves for good, especially the plugs. I’d rather have too much than too little.

Status
Not open for further replies.