PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipey McGee

Lurker
Jun 16, 2024
Illinois
Considering that pipe smoking is kind of a niche thing anymore, I was really surprised that there are as many different manufacturers as there are. I wouldn't have thought there were enough pipe smokers to support them.
There aren’t that many. There are just a half dozen companies who make all the different pipe blends under different names. Losing Mac Baren presumably means now STG will also make the Sutliff blends, the Newminster line, Presbyterian, Capstan, etc. It’s just more homogenization in our little hobby.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Well that's a little sad, but historically from what I recall when STG has acquired other companies they usually just let the company keep doing what they're doing producing the same blends on the same machinery; the only difference being a minor change of text on the label. This does add some more context to Per Georg Jensen's recent departure from Mac Baren though, and if there does happen to be any change in the quality of their blends over the coming years that would be the reason I'd be more likely to point to.

Pipey McGee

Lurker
Jun 16, 2024
Illinois
Well that's a little sad, but historically from what I recall when STG has acquired other companies they usually just let the company keep doing what they're doing producing the same blends on the same machinery; the only difference being a minor change of text on the label. This does add some more context to Per Georg Jensen's recent departure from Mac Baren though, and if there does happen to be any change in the quality of their blends over the coming years that would be the reason I'd be more likely to point to.
I didn’t realize they allowed production on the original sites for blends they acquire. I was envisioning huge corporate vats of generic Virginia, Burley, etc. going into everything they make. 😂

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well that's a little sad, but historically from what I recall when STG has acquired other companies they usually just let the company keep doing what they're doing producing the same blends on the same machinery
Please give some examples?
As far as I know, STG has closed the facilities of most every company that they have bought, with the exception of CI, which serves as their US distributor.

Lane, for instance. And Stanwell.....

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Nonsense! Everything they bought up in the US, they took back to Denmark. Once a Viking, always a Viking...