PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Has anyone had any thoughts or experience with Savinelli's new Dante pipe? I'm intrigued by it--the portrait of Dante is a nice touch--but I'm wary of trying an expensive Author pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I searched this at SP and got nothing. Where can it be previewed? My only complaint with their author classic, the 320, is that it is heavy for its size chamber, but many love the 320. The author shape pipes I like are the Luciano, which may not be made anymore, but could be had on eBay; the Kaywoodie Ruff-Tone, and a Peterson K&P that I haven't seen for sale in years.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I've been mulling it over since they announced them, since my 320EX is one of my favourite pipes.
But I have to agree with @luigi, the way they went about the Dante engraving is lacking, kinda looks cheap.
It will no doubt be a great smoker though.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I searched this at SP and got nothing. Where can it be previewed? My only complaint with their author classic, the 320, is that it is heavy for its size chamber, but many love the 320. The author shape pipes I like are the Luciano, which may not be made anymore, but could be had on eBay; the Kaywoodie Ruff-Tone, and a Peterson K&P that I haven't seen for sale in years.
that's funny, I found it quick. Just type "dante" in the search box.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Savinelli's calling it a bent brandy. Resembles Castello's 55 and the stem to button transition looks extremely uncomfortable. Two strikes for me.

View attachment 88537
yes it does look uncomfortable. When you said that I thought "the man must have a sensitive gum area" then I looked at that picture and said "nope that looks uncomfortable guess it's some kind of oblique reference to Inferno" "and in the third circle there are cheats, fibbers, people that eat a second donut at the office before everyone has had one, and pipe smokers that violate their HOA agreements or their leases..... and of course the punishments are donuts without icing and pipes with uncomfortable buttons.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm not picky when it comes to stem/button. But I know which ones I prefer. That looks even worse than Morgan Bones stem/ button.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That pipe isn't love-at-first-sight for me, and especially the stem/button. Speaking of the pregnant man emoji (a different thread), that stem looks pregnant. I don't like the flow of the design, and the stem makes the bowl look squat. But I will look at it from time to time and see if it grows on me in some way. Usually, I like Savinelli designs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Re. Savinelli author pipes' weights, the Dante is 1.90 ounces; most of the 320KS pipes are over 2 ounces; and the slightly smaller and lighter 321 pipes are still at 1.70 ounces, which just about gets down to a comfortable clench size for me, but still seems heavy for a compact pipe. The design of all these pipes, sturdy and slightly bulky, ups the weight.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Re. Savinelli author pipes' weights, the Dante is 1.90 ounces; most of the 320KS pipes are over 2 ounces; and the slightly smaller and lighter 321 pipes are still at 1.70 ounces, which just about gets down to a comfortable clench size for me, but still seems heavy for a compact pipe. The design of all these pipes, sturdy and slightly bulky, ups the weight.
Thanks, gentlemen. I decided to appease my need for a new pipe by purchasing a sandblasted 106 Irish Harp. Hard to go wrong, arguably, with a Peterson.