PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cfrench249

Lurker
Apr 3, 2020
I have a Sav Hungarian in the Tortuga trim package that I need some help figuring out. This guy has condensation issues. The result is a very steamy smoke that does not feel or taste particularly pleasing, especially as the bottom of the bowl nears. I’m trying to smoke it adapter and filter free. The adapter blocks the airway a bit and makes it difficult to draw, so that’s out of the question. I’m going to try it with the filter to see if that helps. The pipe is not quite broke in, but far enough along that it shouldn’t be behaving this temperamentally, especially where the cake is strongest. Are there any other things I should keep in mind as I figure out this pipe’s personality? It does this no matter what style of blends I use.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have a Sav Hungarian in the Tortuga trim package that I need some help figuring out. This guy has condensation issues. The result is a very steamy smoke that does not feel or taste particularly pleasing, especially as the bottom of the bowl nears. I’m trying to smoke it adapter and filter free. The adapter blocks the airway a bit and makes it difficult to draw, so that’s out of the question. I’m going to try it with the filter to see if that helps. The pipe is not quite broke in, but far enough along that it shouldn’t be behaving this temperamentally, especially where the cake is strongest. Are there any other things I should keep in mind as I figure out this pipe’s personality? It does this no matter what style of blends I use.
Part of the reason I prefer straight pipes. It's probably my shoddy technique more than anything, but at least with a straight pipe if it starts to get wet I can give it the old McCringleberry triple pump with a pipe cleaner and I'm back in business without even relighting.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How dry is the tobacco?

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
If your new to smoking a pipe, I will give you this to try. Dry out your tobacco. However this is rarely the case of why your pipe is smoking wet and Hot. When lighting your pipe tilt your head back. This allows your sloopy wet mouth and spit not to go into the bowl . Once you got it lit, try your best to not to hot box ot. Smoke it fast . Take your time. If it does gurgle on you, take a pipe cleaner through it. Relight, and start again. My brother in law has recently taken up smoking a pipe.he is having the same issues. In a very short time it’s will be second nature

Reactions: klause and OzPiper

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California

cfrench249

Lurker
Apr 3, 2020
I’ve been smoking 3 or 4 years now, I’m fairly new compared to a lot of lifelongers here but I am familiar and practiced with everything discussed. This is the only pipe in my rotation I’ve had this problem with, the rest smoke fantastically. This is my first of the style however, and I understand that these issues are notably frequent with the Hungarian shape.

Reactions: fightnhampster

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm not familiar with Savinellis pipes. But, if there's no space between tenon and draught in the mortise, I would imagine whatever moisture in the pipe will drain straight into the chamber. Dry out the draught and bottom of the chamber with pipe cleaner occasionally during the smoke. Very dry tobacco might help.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I'm in the same boat as you regarding being new to bent pipes. I have a new Savinelli 614 Ghibli I am breaking in after smoking large straight pots for about 10 years. It definitely takes a different technique than my other pipes.

I am getting some luck with cube cutting my flakes and gravity filling along with a slow sipping cadence and very little tamping. It still smokes a little warmer than my other pipes but its manageable.

I don't smoke dry tobacco in any of my pipes and don't have issues. My usual moisture level is how C&D/ Pease blends come straight out of the tin. I don't dry them any extra.

20210428_154407.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I’ve been smoking 3 or 4 years now, I’m fairly new compared to a lot of lifelongers here but I am familiar and practiced with everything discussed. This is the only pipe in my rotation I’ve had this problem with, the rest smoke fantastically. This is my first of the style however, and I understand that these issues are notably frequent with the Hungarian shape.
I have 2 Hungarians and 1 of them is my wettest pipe-a Jobey. On the other hand, the other, a Peterson 2015 Founder's Edition, smokes just fine.

Reactions: cfrench249

cfrench249

Lurker
Apr 3, 2020
I'm in the same boat as you regarding being new to bent pipes. I have a new Savinelli 614 Ghibli I am breaking in after smoking large straight pots for about 10 years. It definitely takes a different technique than my other pipes.

I am getting some luck with cube cutting my flakes and gravity filling along with a slow sipping cadence and very little tamping. It still smokes a little warmer than my other pipes but its manageable.

I don't smoke dry tobacco in any of my pipes and don't have issues. My usual moisture level is how C&D/ Pease blends come straight out of the tin. I don't dry them any extra.

View attachment 77652
I tried something similar with rubbed out Orlik Golden Sliced, minimal clenching, and the filter (except I opted for a Missouri meerschaum balsa filter because I’ve had a bunch of those hanging around for a few years) and it just gave one of the most gentle and pleasant smokes I’ve had from any pipe. It could also be that I used it pretty heavy one day early this week to build cake and let it rest till today, so it’s finally breaking in, but as long as I took my cadence a bit more gingerly it smoked beautifully, even as the tobacco got damp at the bottom of the bowl. If I picked up the tempo it would start to steam slightly, but not enough to bite or alter the flavor. Usually that was at the end of my drawing anyway and by the time I sipped again it was perfect. Maybe it figured out I was thinking on selling it back, but it sure played ball this time! I’ll keep it around and keep socializing with it, it seems to be coming around.

cfrench249

Lurker
Apr 3, 2020
It definitely seems to prefer flake over ribbon cut. Telegraph Hill is a tad hot, but OGS was great. Curious what coins would do, haven’t been able to get my hands on Deluxe Navy Rolls in a bit.