PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

colt54

Lurker
Jan 14, 2023
Please capitalize all proper names. I've edited the title and body of the post.

I am thinking of buying a Bings Favorite. I see that the Punto Oro series briar is supposed to be aged for 3 years or more. Would the average pipe smoker be able to tell the difference between that and their regular series of pipes on how it smokes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UncleRasta and Zero

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
This is just my opinion, so YMMV.

I own several Savinellis, 2 of which Punto Oros. If the POs smoke better than the standards, I honestly can’t tell. I’ve always thought of POs as just being particularly well-grained pieces of briar, without any flaws. In other words, they just look better.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Dont know about aging briar. Ive always thought it continues to age after its a pipe. I dont know. I do know l have a blasted Bings and its a fine pipe.

Reactions: UncleRasta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a number of Savinelli pipes, though no punto oro series. Mine go from unfinished pipes sold without stamp or stem logo to up market versions like the Opera 673 KS. I find them all good quality, properly drilled, handsome, well designed, and durable. I've never run into a clunker.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
A Savinelli is a good place to start. I assume your new. Find one you like, within your budget.
Smoke it and take notes of what you do and don't like about it - length, weight, bowl size, stem, finish. This will aid in future purchases whether they be estates or new pipes.

Hope ya enjoy the Bing!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
hi forum thinking of buying a bings favorite i see that the punto oro series briar is supposed to be aged for 3 years or more, would the average pipe smoker be able to tell the difference that and their regular series of pipes on how it smokes?.feed back welcome thanks.
If I recall, all Savinelli briar is aged 3 years regardless of grade

Reactions: Zero

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
If I recall, all Savinelli briar is aged 3 years regardless of grade
I have 3 rusticated churchwardens that have 'Aged Briar' stamped on the heel. Some time ago I researched how long it was aged, but can't find the info right this moment. I have a faint memory of the briar bearing that stamp is more than 3yrs aged. I could be wrong. I have never had a problem with Savinelli, I have never had a badly shaped stem, or a pipe that was poorly drilled. I think that they are great pipes at a great price.KIMG1787.JPG

Reactions: gervais

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
hi forum thinking of buying a bings favorite i see that the punto oro series briar is supposed to be aged for 3 years or more, would the average pipe smoker be able to tell the difference that and their regular series of pipes on how it smokes?.feed back welcome thanks.
If I may be the monkey that throws a wrench into this discussion, allow me to suggest something other than Savinelli if you're interested in their Punto Oro Bing.

I'm a Savinelli fan and have all kinds of them including several Bing's Favorites and various Punto Oros. The regular Bing is fantastic and a good price especially if you happen upon a sale. The Punto Oro, not so much.

Priced between the 2 Savinellis and better than both I'd suggest you at least look at a Bruno Nuttens Bing. He makes several grades and all are beautiful.

Reactions: OzPiper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't own any Savinelli pipes other than my two Punto Oro Gold pipes. I will be buying more of their standard lines eventually. All I care to say is that you get a better grain, and a hand cut stem/button. The stems are really what do it for me. very high quality, and comfortable bits.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I don't own any Savinelli pipes other than my two Punto Oro Gold pipes. I will be buying more of their standard lines eventually. All I care to say is that you get a better grain, and a hand cut stem/button. The stems are really what do it for me. very high quality, and comfortable bits.
Agree, the only noticeable difference to me is the stems on the Punto Oro and above.