PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've never tried any Savs but always felt it was weird how much people sometimes give them big ups. Like they seem like perfectly nice pipes at the price point to me, but I've had more then a few people act like how do you not have not only a Sav but ten of them? I have never been bothered by the stain on a pipe but I've never had it in the chamber or in the mortise. Though this reminds me of the peterson thing from years ago. Where it doesn't seem like a big issue when you consider how many of these pipes go out on to the market. I'd venture that the disappointments aren't much different then many other brands when taken as a per hundred pipes sold. But that's just a guess.

Reactions: UncleRasta
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
In my experience, pound for pound, french pipes are the best factory-made briar pipes. I love my savinellis as well but man those old french pipes are something else. There are so many old stummels laying around St. Claude from decades ago (when many more pipes were sold annually), that they are just off-loading them for a lower price. The only negative I can find with them is that the vulcanite is of a lower quality so I'd suggest having a few on hand for rotating. Smoking the same one all day could end up oxidizing the stem quicker. The good news is that 3 of them can be shipped to you door for $100 and I'd bet you that those pipes on your doorstep were originally carved for Comoy, Dunhill, Genod, Wally Frank, or some other famous pipe brand.
Yes I have to admit,I have had quite many of mid-grade French-made ones as well as Petersons vulcanite stems on those were prone to oxidation ,although Chacom of today is moving to the use of acrylic stems

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
Yes I have to admit,I have had quite many of mid-grade French-made ones as well as Petersons vulcanite stems on those were prone to oxidation ,although Chacom of today is moving to the use of acrylic stems
I agree that the vulcanite on my French pipes oxidizes quickly. Sometimes I will polish the stems with some Flitz polish and a rag, but usually I leave the stems a bit oxidized because I think it looks cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe if people raise a ruckus, Savinelli will get back on the right track. Peterson went through a time when quality control seemed to get spotty, before Laudisi bought it.

I have long appreciated good quality at moderate prices from Savinelli, and excellent smoking all the way, and I hope they hold that line. I love my Savinelli pipes and have quite a few.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Maybe try the salt and alcohol soak and then give it a good swab? Not something I'd worry about, but if soaking it in ~90% alcohol doesn't remove it, I'd be surprised.
From what I remember, the alcohol and salt method was invented to remove the bad taste from the bowl coating that came with Peterson's pipes. It could work perfectly in this case

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I'm not sure that is changed. We have one member unhappy with the taste of the stain. But, the company seems to have hit a good standard of quality and price. That's a recipe for success. I think they have a great feel for the target audience.
In my opinion, both Savinelli and Chacom have improved a lot since the 90s, which is the period that I have been smoking and buying pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
From what I remember, the alcohol and salt method was invented to remove the bad taste from the bowl coating that came with Peterson's pipes. It could work perfectly in this case
Nothing to do with Peterson. The S/A treatment has been around for may years and was once known as "Professor's Pipe-Sweetening Treatment".
But, the Peterson connection is a perfectly good pipe myth to add to that thread.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am sorry OP this one did not work for you. I think your best bet is to commission a Virgin unstained pipe from an artisan carver.

In my opinion this is not a quality control issue. I would be happy to own a similar pipe.

I am not sure this kind on quality control would exist in any pipe, or any consumer grade stuff for that matter.
Makes sense to me. If I don't have a good experience with a product and I've ascertained that it's not user error, I move on. Commissioning a bespoke pipe might be just the ticket. I've been happy with my commissions.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Nothing to do with Peterson. The S/A treatment has been around for may years and was once known as "Professor's Pipe-Sweetening Treatment".
But, the Peterson connection is a perfectly good pipe myth to add to that thread.
I should have said that I first heard of the alcohol and salt method in connection with removing the bad taste from the bowl coating of Peterson's pipes. I don't know what you mean by Many Year, but I was talking about the late 90s.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I own several Savinelli's and they are pretty reliable smokers. I believe they represent a good value in their offerings that are less than ~$200. I would not spend the money on their higher-end lines (e.g., punto d'oro), for that kind of money I'll look elsewhere, an artisan perhaps or another upscale manufacturer like Radice, Ardor, or Castello. I'll echo what others have said if you don't like the product spend your money elsewhere.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
If you have super sensitive taste buds - as others have mentioned- you might start looking into artisan pipe carvers. Let them know the issues that can cause problems for you - and they can accommodate your needs.

Mac

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I’ve found something wrong with every single pipe I’ve ever bought, that includes artisan pipes. I’ve got the most critical eye of anyone I know. Savinelli seems to fall into the same category as the rest, mediocre but overpriced. I’ve been relatively happy with my Savinelli’s.

Reactions: UncleRasta and kgs
Status
Not open for further replies.