PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AusTex1604

Lurker
May 10, 2023
I just received an amazing pipe from my wife for my 50th birthday. It was advertised as a Savinelli Punto Oro Gold Sandblasted (legacy stock - new but manufactured between 1975-2005). When it arrived, I noticed it says Savinelli Gold on the bottom of the pipe, and the stem has two gold dots. It does not say Punto Oro anywhere on the pipe. What is this pipe? I was under the impression that Savinelli Gold pipes had a gold band on the shank. This one does not. Also, what is the difference between a Gold and a Punto Oro? Are they the same quality? It looks exactly like the others that say Punto Oro that were being sold as legacy stock.
Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I believe the Savinelli Gold pipes were from the ’90s. Two dots are correct for this pipe. The few that I’ve seen have had 18k gold bands. @Winnipeger and I have posted pics of ours (probably in WAYS threads). That doesn’t mean they weren’t also issued without bands—your pipe could be “as issued.” Regardless, you have a lovely, rare, gift. Savinelli Gold pipes turn up far less than Punto Oro pipes and are relatively rare. Congratulations!

AusTex1604

Lurker
May 10, 2023
I believe the Savinelli Gold pipes were from the ’90s. Two dots are correct for this pipe. The few that I’ve seen have had 18k gold bands. @Winnipeger and I have posted pics of ours (probably in WAYS threads). That doesn’t mean they weren’t also issued without bands—your pipe could be “as issued.” Regardless, you have a lovely, rare, gift. Savinelli Gold pipes turn up far less than Punto Oro pipes and are relatively rare. Congratulations!
Great information, thank you! This was one of the legacy stock pipes recently advertised by one of the larger online pipe outlets (I believe owned by the same company that owns some major pipe manufacturers). It’s a great looking pile that looks very similar to a Dunhill ring grain in my opinion. I’m happy with it and I can’t wait to load it up. I’ll try to post a few pics when I get home from my daughter’s soccer tryouts.

AusTex1604

Lurker
May 10, 2023
Great information, thank you! This was one of the legacy stock pipes recently advertised by one of the larger online pipe outlets (I believe owned by the same company that owns some major pipe manufacturers). It’s a great looking pile that looks very similar to a Dunhill ring grain in my opinion. I’m happy with it and I can’t wait to load it up. I’ll try to post a few pics when I get home from my daughter’s soccer tryouts.
IMG_4345.png

AusTex1604

Lurker
May 10, 2023
IMG_4403.jpegIMG_4394.jpeg
IMG_4392.jpeg
IMG_4398.jpeg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Along the same line of questions, is there anything particular about the Punto Oro Mister G line? My only Savinelli is a Mister G 404, and it's one of my favorites pipes.

The Mister G line was created in the ’80s by Giancarlo Savinelli—he added a ring to the pipe as a design element for this line.

The Mister A line was created by Achille Savinelli, Jr. (Giancarlo’s dad) with the designs intended to meld the designs by the Nordic pipemakers and Savinelli’s sensibilities.

*I didn’t see @lraisch ’s reply that answered half of this.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Oh, Gold and Punto Oro Gold are 2 different things. Dang Monkey, set me straight. I'll see myself out.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
The Mister G line was created in the ’80s by Giancarlo Savinelli—he added a ring to the pipe as a design element for this line.

The Mister A line was created by Achille Savinelli, Jr. (Giancarlo’s dad) with the designs intended to meld the designs by the Nordic pipemakers and Savinelli’s sensibilities.

*I didn’t see @lraisch ’s reply that answered half of this.

Thanks! I was wondering who Mister G was!
I bought mine back in the late '80s at a mall Tinder Box store, it was my second pipe purchase. So glad I never lost it when I was not smoking my pipes for about 30 years!!
20210927_112017.jpg

AusTex1604

Lurker
May 10, 2023
Oh, Gold and Punto Oro Gold are 2 different things. Dang Monkey, set me straight. I'll see myself out.
Ok. Smokingpipes is advertising them as Punto Oro Gold but it appears they are Gold. What’s the difference? Which is better quality?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ok. Smokingpipes is advertising them as Punto Oro Gold but it appears they are Gold. What’s the difference? Which is better quality?
The ones on Smokingpipes are Punto Oro Gold, not the entirely separate line "Gold". The Golds have two dots as opposed by Punto Oro's single dot and no Punto Oro stamp. Punto Oros come in several variations such a Gold, Mister G, Mister A, and Super. The rarity of the just "Gold" line would suggest high quality just as the Fiammata line that are reject Giubileo d'Oros.

AusTex1604

Lurker
May 10, 2023
The ones on Smokingpipes are Punto Oro Gold, not the entirely separate line "Gold". The Golds have two dots as opposed by Punto Oro's single dot and no Punto Oro stamp. Punto Oros come in several variations such a Gold, Mister G, Mister A, and Super. The rarity of the just "Gold" line would suggest high quality just as the Fiammata line that are reject Giubileo d'Oros.
Thanks for the info, but I can assure you the one I just received from smoking pipes is just a Gold and not a Punto Oro Gold. It is stamped Savinelli Gold. I included 4 pics above including one of the stamps and another of the two dots. This was from Smoking Pipes Europe. They still have one or two on their site with two dots. I think they are just misadvertising them.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
I have a question on the subject. I have a savinelli gigante with beautifull blasted ring grain. Under the bowl it is marked as gigante and have a gold dot on the stem. I know that gigante is regarding the size. I do not see any punto oro mark but the quality seems like that and the dot made me suspect. Anyone can give more details regarding this pipe?. Thank you.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have a question on the subject. I have a savinelli gigante with beautifull blasted ring grain. Under the bowl it is marked as gigante and have a gold dot on the stem. I know that gigante is regarding the size. I do not see any punto oro mark but the quality seems like that and the dot made me suspect. Anyone can give more details regarding this pipe?. Thank you.
Pictures might help, but it seems likely that a Punto Oro stem was married to your pipe; a Punto Oro pipe would be stamped as such.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Pictures might help, but it seems likely that a Punto Oro stem was married to your pipe; a Punto Oro pipe would be stamped as such.
Thank you for your response. I do not know how to post pictures. That was my first impression too. However , the bit seems original. I do nor find any information on pipedia regarding gigante for savinelli. Most people confuse this pipe with a dunhill ODA. Is gigante only the size or is related to another line for the brand?