PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This pipe belongs to a past member (herbindave). He sends me pipes occasionally to clean up and they are always interesting pieces. This week I received a Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro Shape 625 to restore. The pipe was in pretty good shape, with only some tars/scorching on the rim and a lightly oxidized stem with teeth chatter.
I know very little about Savinelli pipes, but this one has a special look and feel to it. I learned the Giubileo D'Oro line is pretty rare, from a Savinelli seller:
Giubileo D'Oro means Golden Jubilee. This is the highest grade pipe available from Savinelli. Only one in a thousand bowls are good enough to produce a Giubileo D'Oro

They are graded by stars, the higher the star the better the grain.

All bowls are completely flawless, these are the best of the best that Savinelli has to offer.

This one doesn't have any stars, and is just stamped 625 KS. The bowl has a nice mix of birdeye and cross-grain.
I was anxious to start working on the pipe and I forgot to take any before pictures!
I was able to remove nearly all of the scorching with some high grade micromesh. "Yak" on the BoB forum gave me some good advice to use the micromesh versus buffing to retain nomenclature better (thanks!). The bowl was buffed very lightly with white diamond and avoidong the nomenclature. Then several coats of carnuba wax was applied. I reamed and soaked the pipe for Dave. The shank and draft hole was in really clean condition, so Dave should have a very pleasant smoke.
The stem required 1500 and then 2000 grades of wet paper, than 8000 and 12000 grades of micromesh, followed by a light buff with white diamond and then plastic polish. I love the three brass dot stem logo. The teeth chatter came off the top of the stem, but there is one pin prick beneath that I left.
Sav-G-DOro_Dave_J_zps228109d7.jpg

Sav-G-DOro_Dave_J1_zpscb26f8bc.jpg

Sav-G-DOro_Dave_J2_zpsb368df49.jpg

Sav-G-DOro_Dave_J3_zps10bf27cd.jpg

Sav-G-DOro_Dave_J4_zps2e9d9809.jpg

Sav-G-DOro_Dave_J5_zps856c1c8d.jpg

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Nice job as usual Al. Looks like that rim came out good with no rounding. Your making me itchy. My resto box is empty.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I too love the 3 dot stem logo. No need to clean that up, it's real gold.
Interesting, I thought they were brass.
"RebornBriar" posted on another forum that the two bowl sizes were KS and EX.
I'd love to find a 320KS in this finish. Another pipe shape to add on my Holy Grail list...

oldsmoke

Lurker
Jun 29, 2019
Has anyone noticed an airway on this model similar to a "system" pipe. Just started on the clean up of this Giubileo d'Oro 625ks. Surprised to find a dead end with a clear airway above it. Sorry, no photos yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.