PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The Savinelli.IT website says: "Erica Fiamma, a series produced in the Sixties, belonged to the group Fiammate which were divided as follows: Straight Grain Fiammate, subdivided in Gold, Silver, White, Erica Fiamma and Fiammetta. These pipes were selected because of their grain." It doesn't say it was a second.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Savinelli.IT website says: "Erica Fiamma, a series produced in the Sixties, belonged to the group Fiammate which were divided as follows: Straight Grain Fiammate, subdivided in Gold, Silver, White, Erica Fiamma and Fiammetta. These pipes were selected because of their grain." It doesn't say it was a second.
You do realize you responded to a thread that's over a year old?

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Erica Arboreal is the scientific name of the exact name of the tree used to make pipe.
There are others Briars, no suitable to make pipes.
Erica Fiamma means flamed Briar.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
You do realize you responded to a thread that's over a year old?
Dear Chasing Embers, I am sorry if that's not allowed. It is a topic I am interested in as I recently bought an unsmoked Erica Fiamma 128 and like it very much. I'm new to this site and must have missed the time limitation in the rules. In my defense the thread did not say closed to further discussion. I will update my calendar. Sorry for any inconvenience. Best Wishes.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Dear Chasing Embers, I am sorry if that's not allowed. It is a topic I am interested in as I recently bought an unsmoked Erica Fiamma 128 and like it very much. I'm new to this site and must have missed the time limitation in the rules. In my defense the thread did not say closed to further discussion. I will update my calendar. Sorry for any inconvenience. Best Wishes.
Nah, I was just making sure you knew that you were replying to an inactive thread. No foul, just surprised.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Nah, I was just making sure you knew that you were replying to an inactive thread. No foul, just surprised.
Well, as I said I only just bought the 128 in late January (2022!). Its a beautiful pipe and my first briar straight stem. There is one small barely noticeable fill on the backside of the bowl. I didn't notice it until my third bowl of Old Toby. This thread seems to indicate it is a "second". The only reference to that I can find is on pipedia which another thread on this site claims is comprised of publicly submitted information so I don't know whether that is accurate or not (ie: but the guy on the street said ...) . I still don't know if it is a second but if its a second of the top of the line pipe then does that make it ahead of the rest of the lines of pipes ?

Which leads me to surmise privately: Would I rather have a brand new $200k Ferrari or the same car with a door ding for $60k (assuming i could ever afford either ? I could afford $60.00 for the unsmoked new old stock pipe and have no regrets.

As a ancillary note: Back in the 70s and 80s dings and fills were considered natural character and highlighted the nature of the briar ... recently those who only accept perceived perfection seem to think that is less desirable ... perhaps a philosophic topic for another time.

P.S. Its not inactive now ! ;)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Mine has 5 pinpoint dot fills around the base of the bowl where the birdseye begins... almost symmetrical. But otherwise a beautiful straight grain pipe. No complaints, great smoker.