PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Anyone ever hear of that line? I don't believe I've come across one before. Loosely translated it means "heather flame".

$_57.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: cory84

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
While "erica" can be translated as heather, it can also be translated as a related plant: briar. I would translate "Erica Fiamma" as "Flamed Briar" or "Briar Flame". Possibly an equivalent expression to "flame grain"? I don't really know pipe words in Italian.
Yes basically a grade of their flame grains lower than being branded with Savinelli
Interesting there's not one photo of the right hand side of the bowl.
probably a fill? Or bald grain.

I’ve got a Savinelli extra billiard, which is almost the same idea.. despite the briar being flawless the one side of the bowl is a little bald comparatively to the rest of the pipe. Not good enough to make a higher grade but still without any true “flaws”.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
It just occurred to me looking at the above link that @chasingembers pipe has probably had its original stem replaced with a stem from a Venezia. Looks like the stamp on the other ERICA FIAMMA is a little sun, unless that’s a glare in the photo haha interesting!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It just occurred to me looking at the above link that @chasingembers pipe has probably had its original stem replaced with a stem from a Venezia. Looks like the stamp on the other ERICA FIAMMA is a little sun, unless that’s a glare in the photo haha interesting!
I was wondering that same thing. It also says in the link I posted that the stem was acrylic. But I don’t know if they just mean newer pipes?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Haven’t the foggiest as to whether it’s taxonomically accurate. I’m just stating the fact that (at the risk of violating our English-only rules) “la Erica” can be translated as “briar”.
Tree heather is what they use for pipes so they makes sense. This is what I got.

20210124_223125.jpg

Reactions: BROBS