PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Like a fool, I was using a polishing cloth on my favorite of my 4ABs yesterday while walking around the house, and yep, dropped it on the hardwood floor.

Mostly was just worried about the mount (stem was removed). It was fine, just a tiny pin prick of nick of the stain on the bowl where it landed. Used the little pen we got to repair scratches for the kitchen cabinets, a little wipe, and you'd never know.

I never thought about the internals! Didn't apply an icepack but did apply some heat with some No. 515 and didn't hear any screaming. ;) puffy

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Title edited for brevity and caps. See Rule 9. Good idea to say what kind of floor.

Hi guys, I accidentally dropped my pipe onto the floor when smoking it. I don't think there is any damage done but Im just abit afraid that the inside may be damaged. Shud I go to my local pipe shop to ask them to check ?

Thanks
Look it over for cracks, smoke another bowl in it, and report back!

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
From the "can't walk and chew gum" stories: I was attempting to wash dishes and smoke a full-bent Savinelli early one morning, and it fell out of my mouth, as I was shifting it from one side to the other, into the soapy dishwater. At that point, all I could do was rinse it out, dry it as well as I could with a paper towel and pipe cleaner, blow the moisture out of the stem, put it back together, and hope for the best. It seems fine--the stem is a bit loose, but it was a bit loose before that incident, but once I get it lit and the pipe heats up a little, it stays put. I thought about putting some wax on the tenon, but I haven't tried it yet.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Dmitri, briar is tough. A drop to the floor can possibly damage briar, but it is rather unlikely. If you aren't seeing any cracks or the like, you're probably fine. The stem is easier to damage, but it is also, well, obvious when it is; you'll see cracks or the damage will be evident as you smoke.

If I may, many of your threads betray a lot of anxiety about your pursuit of this hobby. We are all here to help each other enjoy our favorite pastime, so don't feel discouraged to ask for advice. That being said, maybe be a little easier on yourself and don't fret too much. Take it easy, enjoy some fine tobacco, and be relaxed. Give yourself a bit more credit, to say nothing of your briar. Both are likely more resilient than you think! 👍

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I would just order a pair of these...I use them all the time to check my pipes for internal damage.

xrayspex227.jpg
Man, those bring back memories. I thought those were the coolest things back when I was just a wee bitty lad.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Stress fracture can possibly cause spontaneous combustion. I suggest x-ray and MRI. I not a doctor, and I do not play one on a TV. But did operate on a bothersome fly once. Tell you the truth, that fly had no chance after I caused an stress fracture on its hind leg.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Dmitri, briar is tough. A drop to the floor can possibly damage briar, but it is rather unlikely. If you aren't seeing any cracks or the like, you're probably fine. The stem is easier to damage, but it is also, well, obvious when it is; you'll see cracks or the damage will be evident as you smoke.

If I may, many of your threads betray a lot of anxiety about your pursuit of this hobby. We are all here to help each other enjoy our favorite pastime, so don't feel discouraged to ask for advice. That being said, maybe be a little easier on yourself and don't fret too much. Take it easy, enjoy some fine tobacco, and be relaxed. Give yourself a bit more credit, to say nothing of your briar. Both are likely more resilient than you think! 👍
In short, smoke more and think less.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I'd say it's fine. My dog knocked a pipe out of my hand recently and it broke. Now I wouldn't have been concerned had it not been my Dad's birthyear pipe. One day I'll get it repaired. I usually now smoke a cob when I'm with the dogs, so I don't have a repeat.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I went to go get something out of my Ford Ranger truck bed (since been sold) and the truck bed is covered by one of those hard-cover toppers but the hinges on the window are fucked. I have to sort of balance the window on my head while looking in (or use a piece of wood). I was doing this balancing act while smoking my favorite briar, a Savinelli 104 tre rusticated, and that shit slipped right out of my teeth as I turned my head and slammed onto the asphalt so hard I was sure that either the stem or the mortise would be cracked. I'm 6'2'' so it was quite a long fall. It had chips in the stem but that was about it. I was just happy it didn't break. I'm sure your pipe is fine. A well-used pipe looks fucking badass.