PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've recently developed quite a hankering for a Bing pipe, one of the few pipes I have any desire to buy at this stage since I have plenty of pipes. If I do in the near future, am considering the Sav Bing. For those who own one, how do you like it? Thanks.

Reactions: whsergent and dcon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have the Bing, but I have a number of Savinelli pipes including a long-stemmed Prince of Wales that shares some of the proportions of the Bing. I've heard nothing but positive comments on the Bing, though of course some love the design and others don't. If you "dig" the look, the smoking characteristic will probably please you too. Some fans of fine artisan pipes and up-market factory pipes don't feel the warmth for Sav's, but I do. I won a great little rusticated apple in the old Pipesmagazine/smokingpipes.com cartoon caption contest and I have enjoyed it greatly along with many other Sav's including a churchwarden and Hercules Oom-Paul, gifts from my wife.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have a rusticated Savinelli Bing and it smokes great. I did have it dedicated to C&D's Crooner, but have recently decided to smoke just Burley and Virginia/Burley in the pipe. It has good balance if your a clencher and as long as you don't puff fast, the bowl will stay cool. I like the Bing so much that I'm considering getting the smooth version. You also may want to look at the Savinelli Roma 706. I have that one also and it reminds me of the Sav Bing. The only drawback is that it has a vulcanite stem and I prefer acrylic because I hate cleaning stems. It's about a half inch shorter then the Bing but it has a pencil shank, like the Bing and it's a good clencher. You can't go wrong with either one.

Reactions: python

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I've had one for about thirty years. It smokes great and is light weight. It's a cool smoking pipe, in part because of its length. But, I have no experience with the filter versions as mine was made before savinelli went nuts with filters.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I have a smooth. The wood is nothing special but that’s expected at the price point. Good smoker, reasonably comfortable bit, never any problems with the pipe. I like the acrylic stem as I never have to worry about it oxidizing. No regrets buying it.

My only complaint would be the golf stamping, but it’s a minor quibble.

I smoke mine without the filter, FWIW.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
i do have a bingish pipe. it's an English no name straight billiard I picked up on the Bay years ago. Light blasting with chocolate brown stain and nickle military mount. Elongated down-turned stem reaching 6 3/4 inches in length, but not a pencil shank. So doesn't quite scratch the Bing itch, but close. Like it so well it's in my regular rotation.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I have a rusticated Savinelli Bing and it smokes great. I did have it dedicated to C&D's Crooner, but have recently decided to smoke just Burley and Virginia/Burley in the pipe. It has good balance if your a clencher and as long as you don't puff fast, the bowl will stay cool. I like the Bing so much that I'm considering getting the smooth version. You also may want to look at the Savinelli Roma 706. I have that one also and it reminds me of the Sav Bing. The only drawback is that it has a vulcanite stem and I prefer acrylic because I hate cleaning stems. It's about a half inch shorter then the Bing but it has a pencil shank, like the Bing and it's a good clencher. You can't go wrong with either one.
Do the Sav Bings come with vulcanite stems now instead of acrylic? Every dealer has them listed as such.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Do the Sav Bings come with vulcanite stems now instead of acrylic? Every dealer has them listed as such.
Sorry, I was mistaken. Smooth have Vulcanite stems. Rusticated have Acrylic stems.
@gervais , Spa32 is correct. As I said in my post, I was considering getting the smooth Bing, but because it has a vulcanite stem I think I'll pass.

Reactions: gervais

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I have a smooth which has a brindle stem I previously thought was acrylic. It’s never oxidized in over 5 years of frequent use and feels like acrylic to me.

I wonder now what it really is. Online listings say vulcanite. Either it’s a higher quality of vulcanite less prone to oxidation or some smooths got acrylic stems.

Reactions: gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I have a smooth which has a brindle stem I previously thought was acrylic. It’s never oxidized in over 5 years of frequent use and feels like acrylic to me.

I wonder now what it really is. Online listings say vulcanite. Either it’s a higher quality of vulcanite less prone to oxidation or some smooths got acrylic stems.
Well I just ordered one, so I’ll update you guys on what the material turns out to be

Reactions: Spa32

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I don't know much about plastics. But, the stem on my Bing seems like nylon.

Status
Not open for further replies.