PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenickerson

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
I hope this is in the right place.

As the title says I am looking for a new stem. I just bought a 1983 Savinelli Autograph 4 panel finish 1/2 bent Dublin freehand off ebay, I was told the autograph was just a little faded but with closer inspection the previous owner buffed the stem as well as removing the golden Auto. inlay does anyone know of a site or anything

so I can replace my stem.
thanks

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
hi mikenickerson. i own a savinalli autograph. i love it, bought it new ~10+ years ago. now for your stem. you can try tim west. he is a pipe maker and repairmen. he is in columbus ohio. his number is 614-761-3465. he has worked on my charatans. i do not know if he has savinelli stamps, if not he will be able to tell you where you can get the proper repair done.
take care.

mike.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You might be able to send it back to Savinelli, check their website. But, they are now acrylic, versus the vulcanite you have (no filter, right?). Of course, then you would have two stems to enjoy.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Just enjoy what you got, if the stem is in good shape and your a pipe smoker (rather than someone that puts it in a display case) then just enjoy it with the original stem, the inlay has no effect in the quality of the smoke and I am sure the pipe looks fine without it. Besides anyone other than Savinelli doing it is basically doing a really good forgery, Savinelli will only be able to do the real deal but then you are not going to get a vulcanite stem either... As far as I know having the original stem is more valuable than a replacement stem, even by the same company, the fact no one can see the brand on the stem shouldn't make it less valuable to you, but will only make it harder to resell.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
some stems can replaced to original specs. i know that tim west is a professional pipe maker and repairmen of briar smoking pipes. charatan is no longer in business, which we all know. tim does have those stamps for charatan pipes. he may not have savinelli stamps because they are still in business. i myself prefer that my stems are original with proper stamping when possible with my charatan pipes. as far as my autograph goes, if something was needed, i myself would prefer the repair be done to the specifications required for that pipe.
take care.
mike.

mikenickerson

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
Al You might be able to send it back to Savinelli, check their website. But, they are now acrylic, versus the vulcanite you have (no filter, right?). Of course, then you would have two stems to enjoy.

Savinelliusa.com have shut there doors. Yes my stem is vulcinite
Eric Just enjoy what you got, if the stem is in good shape and your a pipe smoker (rather than someone that puts it in a display case) then just enjoy it with the original stem, the inlay has no effect in the quality of the smoke and I am sure the pipe looks fine without it. Besides anyone other than Savinelli doing it is basically doing a really good forgery, Savinelli will only be able to do the real deal but then you are not going to get a vulcanite stem either... As far as I know having the original stem is more valuable than a replacement stem, even by the same company, the fact no one can see the brand on the stem shouldn't make it less valuable to you, but will only make it harder to resell.

The pipe is very stunning without the autograph but when the previous owner buffed the stem, it left dents and uneven surface between the stem and the pipe which is an eye sore for me so its more of a personal reason why i want a new stem.
mlyvers some stems can replaced to original specs. i know that tim west is a professional pipe maker and repairmen of briar smoking pipes. charatan is no longer in business, which we all know. tim does have those stamps for charatan pipes. he may not have savinelli stamps because they are still in business. i myself prefer that my stems are original with proper stamping when possible with my charatan pipes. as far as my autograph goes, if something was needed, i myself would prefer the repair be done to the specifications required for that pipe.

Thanks I will definitely contact him. Also I would like my stem to be resigned as well a new Acrylic stem made. Pricier I'm sure but its worth every penny, at least for me.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Savinelli US was just their distribution arm in the US. They recently closed Savinelli US division and is now using a third party for distribution in North America. Savinelli is still open and going strong. They are an Italian company and still have their business centered their. The "en" at the end of the link below brings up their website in english. If it is that much of an eyesore to you I would start with some emails with them first.
http://savinelli.it/en

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Perhaps a professional could fix up the stem so that it no longer has dents in it and can add on the logo again like rothnh mentioned...

Status
Not open for further replies.