PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
A few months ago there was a thread on here that, if I recall, was about what pipemakers one would recommend in the $200-$300 range.
Someone had suggested on that thread a pipe made by Todd Bannard (aka Sasquatch) of BST pipes: http://bstpipes.com
About 4 years ago I had bought a couple of pipes from BST and, to be honest, I was not completely happy with them. There was nothing really fundamentally wrong with them, to be honest, but I felt that they had a pretty tight draw and that the bit work wasn't all that comfortable. And to be clear, I never expressed any complaint to Todd at the time - I just internalized my displeasure and moved on.
In any event, in the thread referred to above someone recommended one of Todd's pipes and, in rather undiplomatic fashion (which I regret), I mentioned the issues I had with the BST pipes I had purchased four years ago.
To his immense credit, Todd saw the thread and contacted me. He asked me to explain my issues and I did.
After a few message exchanges, Todd offered to send me a more recent pipe he had made for me to try, which he did.
The pipe he sent was a group 3/4 billiard, with a nickel band and a cumberland stem.
I have to say that this pipe is a great little smoker, with perfect drilling and very comfortable bit work. The fit and finish is really well done.
I was really impressed, not only with the pipe, but that Todd had the strength of character to actually reach out to me and discuss the issues I experienced..
After this experience, I can now certainly recommend Todd and his BST pipes.
By the way, Todd has really cool pipe bags too, lol.
I apologize in advance for the bad photos of the pipe taken with my phone.
6EMeO4l.jpg

LQj8vRN.jpg

bKy09PL.jpg

WPhgIwQ.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cool! It comes with a merkin, sweet!
And the pipe is very fine, seriously, as is the history with Todd and the good resolution.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I had a couple BST pipes in the past and liked them, but at some point threw them in on a trade and I no longer have them. The man, the beast, the pipe maker; his passion for making good quality pipes is among the best. Plus, he's a nice guy. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Don't usually reply to this kind of Post, but it warmed my heart to hear that 2 grown men can come together and resolve a situation , after seeing disaster early this morning in my neighborhood can't begin to tell both of you you have lifted my Spirits.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a lovely pipe. I really like the bowl proportionate to the chamber, with a good thick wall but not a small hole on a big rim. Likewise, the slight jaunty cant of the bowl is classy, along with the slender but not frail shank, and the lively grain. 'Bet it hefts and balances in the hand really well. Nice acquisition!

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks. MSO, I agree with you. Todd's shaping here is really excellent. The bowl/shank transition in particular is very well done I think, and that is a common issue I see in billiards.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Todd's a standup guy. I have two of his pipes in the rotation, a strawberry "124" shape and a briar "124" shape, and they are two of my best smokers. While smoking them, I keep thinking that at some point they should go out. They just stay lit even with a couple minutes between puffs.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd say that 4 years worth of experience may have resulted in technical and artistic improvement.

That pipe you have there looks fabulous.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
I remember when he was selling his pipes for almost nothing. A while back I had a chance to see on of his earliest pipes. You would swear it was carved by someone else. Over the ensuing years, he has studied extensively on the fundamentals of what a pipe needs to be and incorporated those lessons. I have one of his billiards and it is a fine pipe, though not my favorite. But it would be hard to find a classier guy.

Dec 24, 2012
I'd say that 4 years worth of experience may have resulted in technical and artistic improvement.
I think that is right, absolutely.
Some of those on here may remember a thread a couple of years back about a member who purchased a J Alan pipe, but it was one of Jeff Gracik's early pipes. They complained about the bit work. Jeff responded on here and pointed out that it was a very early piece, and displayed no where near the craftsmanship and skill that he was currently putting into his current production pipes. In fact, I also recall Rad Davis himself telling a member on here that his pre-2008 pipes should be approached with caution.
As is the case in all professions, people get better at their craft over time, and if they don't, then they should choose a different vocation.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
What a cool story and a nice pipe.
Respect to any man who can carve a great pipe and hold a Sasquatch down long enough to shave its merkin region. :worship:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think most pipemakers with a long term goal and a real passion about pipes have the same basic idea, and that is, if we hear that someone wasn't that happy with our pipes, we want to know why. Certain things each maker does to his own satisfaction - the shape of the button for example. And that's one of the beauties of the industry - people can buy whatever makes them happy; uniformity is not the goal. But if someone finds a pipe frustrating or not well made.... that's different. And that's what happened here. So I sent Peck a newer model, and if he hated it, well, then fine I guess, at that point it is what it is. Luckily, some ideas a guy has early in his carving career DO get sorted out and normalized.
Why would a guy build anything but the most ordinary run-of-the-mill pipe in terms of specs? Well... it's awful hard (and harder now than ever) to differentiate yourself as a maker. Why SHOULD someone buy a pipe from me? It's nice to have a little different approach to something, whether it's oil curing or casting your own resin for stems.... and a guy can get caught up in his own hype/idealogy. Selling pipes by telling people how completely ordinary they are is a tough go. (And the truth is, a good hand-made pipe ISN'T ordinary - they smoke better and they are far more comfortable, but both these things are taken for granted at some point in the artisan industry).
As to the pipe bag, Mrs Squatch went out to find some classy fabric. You know how the big boys run at the pipe shows - a little leather scrotum with their initials on it.... and Mrs Squatch, also knowing class when she sees it, sent me a photo of this silly shaggy fabric she could buy. She thought it was pretty funny, and I did too. So at Chicago, where everyone else has a slick shiny suitcase full of little leather pouches, I have a big army duffel bag full of Sasquatch muffs. Again, we are talking about differentiation (and just a little anti-authoritarian streak that I just... can't... seem.. to shake).
Anyway thanks to all for their support through the years. It's been real fun. I am still actively carving and the FDA can't git me cuz I'm up in the Great White North. It's going to be different over the next few years, I think we've had our Golden Age, but I still think things will be pretty good.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, and to Mrs. Squatch as well. I love me some merkins, though I've never encountered one except in movies. I'm not a fan of the baldy look that every gal seems to sport (or not sport).
Back on topic! Are you going to the LV pipe show? I really like what I have seen of your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.