PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I won this auction for an old Sasieni Four Dot Natural "Victoria" on eBay for $28 mainly because it was in poor condition I guess. I like a challenge from time to time and this looked to be one. I've included some before and after pics.
However, I have a couple of questions about this pipe. I know it's probably a family era pipe, but I had never heard of the "Victoria" shape designation before. It's nice size Dublin that may have been messed with in the past. It has a London Made stamp, but not a Made in England stamp. It also looks to have been stained a reddish color at some point because I thought that the Natural finish pipes didn't have any stain applied. The dots look to be faded out to very light blue, almost white.

Any thoughts on its age or quirks would be appreciated.
Before:

fullsizeoutput_29d4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_29d6.jpegfullsizeoutput_29d7.jpegfullsizeoutput_29e7.jpegfullsizeoutput_29d9.jpeg
After:

fullsizeoutput_29e3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_29e4.jpegfullsizeoutput_29e6.jpeg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Did you rebuild the lip end? It looks like whatever you did, you did it very well.

Mike S.
Yeah Mike, I rebuilt the end and tried something new. I usually use black super glue, and it looks good, but doesn't hold up real well if I clench. So I tried what George D. advises, using epoxy with a color additive. I've messed with this a couple of times before but always have trouble getting the black dark enough. This time it worked a little better, but you can still see a small difference if you look close enough. I'll see how it holds up this time.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Yeah Mike, I rebuilt the end and tried something new. I usually use black super glue, and it looks good, but doesn't hold up real well if I clench. So I tried what George D. advises, using epoxy with a color additive. I've messed with this a couple of times before but always have trouble getting the black dark enough. This time it worked a little better, but you can still see a small difference if you look close enough. I'll see how it holds up this time.
By the way looks fantastic!! Great job. If I have a big tooth fill I use a old vulcanite stem as a donor. I scrap it in to a powder. Then mix it with black superglue. It seems to work better than anything else I tried. I seen the video on the epoxy. I never tried it. I guess I should . Again that looks great!!

Last edited:
Reactions: agnosticpipe

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great job all around!

The Victoria is their Shape 71 and it is not listed in their 1930 catalog, but shows up on later shape charts, so Ash's date of 1946 forward seems correct.

Sasieni_Pipe_Shape_Chart.jpg

Reactions: agnosticpipe

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Just noticed something while smoking this pipe. I don't know how I missed this before, but I caught a little glimpse of something and got a magnifier out to look and I think I found the Made In England stamp on this pipe. I'd been looking beneath the London Made stamp as most of them have that type so I didn't think to look for this type. It looks like it was the football shape stamp that is barely there. Check out these pics and tell me what you think, does this style stamp makes any difference in age? Sorry for all the dust specks.

fullsizeoutput_29f7.jpegfullsizeoutput_29f6.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can't see the stamp in the picture, but the football shape would only affirm a mid 40's to '70 date of manufacture (Town name, no patent number)

Status
Not open for further replies.