Sandblast/Rusticated Vs. Smooth: Is A Sandblast/Rusticated Pipe Inferior Briar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Like others have said; rusticated and/or sandblasted pipes are made that way (typically) because they have a flaw in the briar. That doesn't mean the pipe will smoke any worse than a smooth finish pipe. Some makers will take a high grade block of briar and still sandblast/rusticate it, because they know that some pipe smokers prefer the look of a sandblast/rusticated pipe. Again the quality of the smoke will not be affected by a flaw/pit etc.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
In my opinion a smooth finish is exactly that. Who knows what lays beneath that surface? Good wood is good wood.

The smoking experience is more likely to be affected by blend, cut, pack, leaf moisture, ambient temp & RH, and current mood of the smoker.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Mark, could you explain this notion about surface area dissipating more heat on sandblasted and rusticated pipes?
Think of a heat sink. Someone posted a photo of one. If you have a deep blast or rustication, the surface area is increased substantially. Therefore, you have a substantial increase in convection heat transfer. Same theory or effect as a heat sink.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
Think of a heat sink. Someone posted a photo of one. If you have a deep blast or rustication, the surface area is increased substantially. Therefore, you have a substantial increase in convection heat transfer. Same theory or effect as a heat sink.

I see two possible effects of a heat sink bowl:

1) the effect you described: more surface area means more ability for the pipe to port heat out of bowl; and

2) as you hold the pipe, less surface area directly in contact with your hand means that less of that heat will be transferred to your hand, and more of it to the surrounding air.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, funny you should ask, I was smoking my MM this morning on the way to work didn't finish the bowl. Picked it up about 3 this afternoon, fired it up and due to sitting in my car for almost the whole day, that sucker got hot quick! Doesn't happen on the regular, just once in a while.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How hot are you all smoking your pipes?
It's not necessarily about how hot you're smoking your pipe and the ability to hold the bowl. It is a matter of transferring heat from the inside of the bowl to the outside. That would result in a cooler smoke and possibly, less problems with condensation.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And again I ask how hot are you smoking? I breath smoke and the bowl remains luke warm. Thirty years ago I could really heat one up, but never now. No amount of surface area is going to cool an inferno.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
From an aesthetic and rarity/perfection perspective, a rusticated or sandblasted pipe is considered by the pipe collecting community in general to be inferior. From a purely utilitarian perspective, no, a rusticated or sandblasted pipe in and of itself as a characteristic will have negligible impact on how the pipe smokes.
While I appreciate the beauty of a nicely grained smooth finish, I prefer the tactile feel of sandblasted pipes and almost all of mine that I smoke are sandblasted. Smoke what you like.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the cause of science (not really ...) I have several pipes with inconspicuous fills and such, on smooth finishes or on unfinished pipes, and some of these are among my best smokers. Still, like most, I thrill to the sight of a totally smooth unblemished briar with gorgeous grain all over the bowl and right up the stem. As long as you remember to take time to savor and glory in the visual aspect, it can be worth the price you pay. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I also have many pipes where I know the semi-rustication and overall rustication or blast hides some imperfections, and again, often, these are sumptuous smokers. Beauty is certainly one attribute. Any pipe can have a flaw that results in a process that causes a crack or burn-out, but so far for me, this has happened only once or twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.