PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Can someone explain where the straight grain is on the blast and also ring grain, and are they similar? Or could a straight grain have in addition a ring grain?

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Can someone explain where the straight grain is on the blast and also ring grain, and are they similar? Or could a straight grain have in addition a ring grain?
Also, what would a flame grain blast look like compared to a straight grain blast?

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Since you asked, I'll answer. The Neilson is a picture perfect example of the Danish approach to the sandblast, detailed refined, controlled. I admire i but do not like it. Danish blasts are "why bother" blasts to me.

My preference is for a deeper blast, more detailed, more gnarly, These refined blasts are a hedged bet and a pair of hairless balls. You can do interesting things with a sandblast:

VeXDgAf.jpg

instead of being a pussy about it.

The Peterson looks a bit soft. It has better depth, but less than great detail. It's a solid "B", mass market blast.

The Ashton is marginally better, with a little more clarity in its detail, over the Peterson. It gets a B+ - A -
Usually agree about the Danish Sandblast, 99 out of 100. Any Danish makers that specialize in it though? That are absolutely known for their blast?

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Hey! I am new here and new-ish to pipe smoking. I hear a lot of people talking about the quality of sandblasting as well as their opinions on what a "good" and "bad" sandblast is. I am curious to hear people's opinions on these 3 pipes. No need to worry about offending me, I am genuinely curious about what people look for. To me, they are all nice in different ways.

Left: Kai Nielsen Sandblasted Bent Brandy
Centre: Ashton LX Bent Billiard
Right: Sherlock Holmes PSB Squire P-Lip

View attachment 300043
Your Kai has a more reminiscent blast of Ashton than the Jimmy Craig (I presume)

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Larsen. (Needs cleaned up). But the top of the bowl is rusticated and kind of takes away from it. Compared to American.

My kid plays a game that has the character look for “Craggy Rock” and I had to explain what craggy means. I absolutely showed photos of pipes. Ahaha.

Attachments

• IMG_1077.jpeg
    IMG_1077.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1078.jpeg
    IMG_1078.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: AroEnglish