PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I love a good sandblast, but it is such a personal thing and impossible to recommend any particular pipemaker's blasts. For whatever it's worth the ones I like the most for look and feel are Michael Lindner's and Maurizio Tombari's (Le Nuvole). They both do blasts that are not too deep but are really crisply defined. I attach a photo of my favourite Le Nuvole sandblast, as well as a very unusual Chris Askwith sandblast that has a really interesting texture (I realise the lilac stem isn't for everyone!). There are so many good sandblasters and different styles.
0686c27ccefde06982e4819bded08bb7_zps01b13f22.jpg

9634eeef2f26526cbee93de139a76a38_zps8000601f.jpg

2e1eff46630a173f896dd41b3b9473cc_zps7dcf8171.jpg

2049bacf0bd6a403e4fa5922b0ccf66d_zps6fe2edff.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I have heard that Bill Ashton used to give a much heavier blast for pipes destined for the U.S. market and a lighter blast for pipes destined for Europe. Experience taught him that Americans loved much craggier pipes than European pipesmokers. I think there is something to this as European carver blasts tend to be much lighter.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
These are some great pics of sandblasts!
Does anybody want to add to this list?
-bw

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Ryan, is that Author made of strawberry wood? Damn, man, that's a pretty pipe!
PS - I'm still loving that Canadian I picked up from you in Chicago. Smoking like a champ!
EDIT - Added a picture, 'cause this pipe deserves to be in more threads...

-- Pat

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Lonestar, I went straight to your site to confirm that was your handiwork. That's an impressive looking pipe, I love it!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yep, that Author is strawberry. It belongs to Morton here on the forum. He has a briar one too and I'm starting a 3rd one for him in Morta. Grand slam!

Glad you still enjoy that Canadian. That Pale Ale in the pic is making me thirsty :D

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Yep, that Author is strawberry. It belongs to Morton here on the forum. He has a briar one too and I'm starting a 3rd one for him in Morta. Grand slam!

Glad you still enjoy that Canadian. That Pale Ale in the pic is making me thirsty.
Aw crap... Now I have to save up for a hat trick and pick up a strawberry and morta Canadian from you! (Do morta blocks even come that long?). ;-)
That pale ale is delicious. Crisp without bring pine-sol hoppy, sweet and citrusy.
Now I'm thirsty.
-- Pat

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
While all the pictures of blasted pipes in this thread range from interesting on to beautiful, nothing feels better in my hand than a smooth, fat egg or apple shaped bowl. I have always loved smooth finished woods with beautiful grains.

Status
Not open for further replies.