PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

calidadd

Lurker
Jul 4, 2013
I didn't. I'd have a hard time explaining to my queen why I'm taking her to a tobacco shop on Valentine's Day lol. But I do plan on going for March's meeting.

Dec 20, 2016
I didn't. I'd have a hard time explaining to my queen why I'm taking her to a tobacco shop on Valentine's Day lol. But I do plan on going for March's meeting.
Ditto! I plan to go in March and hopefully this IPSD just to hang.

Dec 20, 2016
I stopped by on IPSD, had a good time, picked up some Esoterica And So To Bed. I got my buddy to come along and have his first pipe. I did my part to spread the pipe gospel.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
<p>I went with my wife on IPSD, too, but didn't see any pipers so we left. I did see a couple of guys looking at the tobacco's and it seemed like one was a newbie. I wonder if that was you?

Dec 20, 2016
Could have been! I got there about 2pm and had a bowl then my friend arrived about 3:30pm. There were a handful of pipes earlier on - more than I've normally seen.

Dec 20, 2016
Went yesterday and met a few new people. We had a better turn out but as we all agreed, Sundays would be much better for people's schedules. Wonder if I met any of you from this thread?

Dec 20, 2016
FYI: I have been told the pipe club meetups have moved to "Every Sunday" instead of Tuesdays. Haven't had a time to go by recently but maybe see you there next time!

Dec 20, 2016
Pipe meetup is now Every Sunday, 3pm to close. I went last weekend and there were lots of pipe smokers and we had a great time. Sunday seems to work way better than Tuesday's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm on the other coast, nearly, but have connections with San Diego. In journ school did an analysis of the San Diego Union newspaper, and later attended boot camp there where I read the paper regularly in "A" and "C" schools after boot. I visited the Star of India, an iron-hulled square rigged freight-hauling ship lovingly restored. I went back on business once about twenty years later. The Naval boot camp has closed, though I think the schools remain. Balboa Naval Hospital is still going (I think) where Navy Corpsmen and women are trained. Of course, I enjoyed the zoo. Great climate, though I remember waiting in ranks for breakfast for an hour in boot camp long before dawn in some chilly weather in the late fall.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...think I saw a Leon Russell concert while in radioman school, in my military haircut, in San Diego, maybe some time in 1969. Later home-ported with the minesweeper in Long Beach I saw Moody Blues, again in my short hair; it was a totally drugged concert, with people undressing and standing on folding chairs at the end tripping out. I was sober as a pope, had to get back to the ship to stand watch. Weird life in a weird time.

davidk

Lurker
Jan 26, 2016
Hi All:

Thanks for your comments!
Just wanted to bring this thread back to life. I've been checking it more lately, and plan to do so more regularly. Also please feel free to send me a PM. I was at Liberty last Sunday, and hope to be there on most of the following Sunday afternoons (with some holiday exceptions). Hope to see you all there sometime.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'll jump on the Charlie/Liberty Tobacco bandwagon. Nice fellow and a gem of a pipe store. Friendly folks who hang out there, too. I've only visited twice as I live near Chicago, but I'll be certain to go every time I'm in SD. They have a GREAT selection of quality bulk tobaccos and house blends. Best I've ever seen, in fact.

Dec 20, 2016
Its been a busy time of year so I haven't had a chance to head over lately. Hopefully I can carve out some time soon to make it over there on a sunday.

davidk

Lurker
Jan 26, 2016
I can't make it today, but I hope to be there next week. Look forward to meeting you sometime soon industrialpunk!

maestrolee

Lurker
Apr 2, 2018
New to this site, but a big fan of Liberty Tobacco. I've been there on Sundays mostly and talked to Ben. He's a pipe and cigar man who knows his stuff - look for him Sundays only.
I'm out in East County (El Cajon, Rancho San Diego and Santee) and am always looking for businesses (especially restaurants and bars) that are friendly to Pipes and Cigars. I've found a couple - Main Tap on Main Street in El Cajon has a great patio and fantastic beer. Also "The Press Box" in Rancho has good food and an OK patio where they allow a good smoke. Any other suggestions?

Dec 20, 2016
I have to make it out again. I haven't been able to make it over on a Sunday in ages.
Hoffer's Cigar Bar in downtown La Mesa has craft beer and two walk in humidors with a patio out back for smoking. Some of the nearby restaurants will deliver their food to the bar at no cost too.
http://hofferscigar.com

maestrolee

Lurker
Apr 2, 2018
IndustrialPunk - thanks for the reply. I forgot about Hoffer's. I had some good cigars and beers from there - but the last time I was there the patio seemed small and not particularly comfortable. Still, worth another look. Thanks again, and if you come across any place new, please post; I'll do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.