PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Thanks guys, these are great. I find it a bit of a pain in the arse to figure it out in my head.

I have seen plenty of tins with no numbers at all on them. Not sure how accurate these numbers are. Maybe someone should ask SG why so many tins had no numbers in the first place and what their real system is and explain it so people can be confident it is real.

I think the case was that they used it as an internal system starting in 1995, but sometimes in the last few years started putting them on the release product for whatever reason. Either way it doesn't matter much. No one has to do this, and this dating method is one of the easier ones to decipher, so I guess I'll take what I can get.

Reactions: eljimmy and AJL67

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will have to look again but I recently checked 25 tins of Best Brown Flake I bought from JRcigars back in 2012 and I am almost positive not a one had these numbers you are talking about. It could be just my memory being shit but I will look again. I thought I had a 2004 FVF with no code either. I will have to track that one down. I am hoping I am wrong as it is so much easier to have tins dated from the factory.

All my GL Pease Navigators are dated as are all my Butera Royal Vintage : Dark Stoved. Easy to see and read. Why so few mfgs don't date every tin I will never know.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I will have to look again but I recently checked 25 tins of Best Brown Flake I bought from JRcigars back in 2012 and I am almost positive not a one had these numbers you are talking about. It could be just my memory being shit but I will look again. I thought I had a 2004 FVF with no code either. I will have to track that one down. I am hoping I am wrong as it is so much easier to have tins dated from the factory.

From what I can gather, they only started putting they dates on the consumer tins in the last two or three years, almost certainly after 2012.

Reactions: hawky454

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

All my GL Pease Navigators are dated as are all my Butera Royal Vintage : Dark Stoved. Easy to see and read. Why so few mfgs don't date every tin I will never know.
It’s a little clear sticker with just the code on it, not part of the tin label on top or bottom.E5DFC677-7A54-480A-98A7-5DCB1C4D46BC.jpeg

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Thanks for doing this. I previously had to search the internet to find this out to date my tins. Not a big deal but kind of a pain in the arse to do every time as I will never remember the system. Now you guys put the work in and I can just take a picture. Much appreciated.

Reactions: eljimmy and AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks for doing this. I previously had to search the internet to find this out to date my tins. Not a big deal but kind of a pain in the arse to do every time as I will never remember the system. Now you guys put the work in and I can just take a picture. Much appreciated.
I got it from someone else for the same reason just had to add a couple years as it was outdated.

Reactions: vosBghos
Jun 23, 2019

The Gawith number stickers were a later addition to the tins. I don't remember exactly the year they did it, but your 2012 tins were definitely before.

Reactions: AJL67

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Thanks! I’ve been using this link from SPcom:

Saving the pic will make things quicker. I write when received in absence of a date on tin, but have found tins with some age on them sitting on shelves (and I don’t even have access to many stores).
Best so far was HH Balkan from 2018 on a local cigar store’s shelf.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I have seen plenty of tins with no numbers at all on them. Not sure how accurate these numbers are. Maybe someone should ask SG why so many tins had no numbers in the first place and what their real system is and explain it so people can be confident it is real.
It seems to fall in line with the time period in which I've made purchases over the past few years. I've gotten newer stuff with no numbers at all, but not many. They went through a period around 21' where they were putting warning labels on the front of the tin for the US and made the tin art smaller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puffaluffaguss