PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I just stack them and leave them. I've had no problems.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If you zan smell the aroma of the tobacco through the tin then you probably need to take some sort of action. I have a bunch of those rectangular tins but I don't smell tobacco. I do wish the McClelland tins were the industry standard.

Mike S.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
Thank you all for the information given. I see so many folks that have kept them in the tins, have many of them, and have never had a problem with them. This gives me hope!
MikeStanley: I agree with this always EXCEPT when it comes to Samuel Gawith tins because I can *always* smell the aroma of the tobacco inside with their blends...every single tin I've bought, from many different sources. Someone once suggested it was in how they tinned the tobacco at a factory level that allows for the spillover/seeming "leak" of aroma, but I still haven't fully figured it out.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Yes this is true with me as well tobaccojoe, I can always smell the tobacco in SG tins. Mike if you can't smell yours, you must not be putting your nose up to the tin. I have a ton of SG tins and you get a tobacco scent from every one

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's debated, but I think perhaps square tins seal less well than round ones. Maybe square tins don't expand and contract as well with temperature and humidity, and sometime don't stay completely sealed. I don't pay any attention to this, and keep square tins assuming they'll stay sealed, but if I had a large quantity I might just jar them. I'm not C-clamping tins; sounds like, if it wasn't done just right, it could pop the tins by itself, but just right, I guess the pressure might do the trick. C-clamp the world. Seems like C-clamped tins would take up a lot of space, but in the cause of well-aged tobacco, no matter.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I agree with this always EXCEPT when it comes to Samuel Gawith tins because I can *always* smell the aroma of the tobacco inside with their blends...every single tin I've bought, from many different sources. Someone once suggested it was in how they tinned the tobacco at a factory level that allows for the spillover/seeming "leak" of aroma, but I still haven't fully figured it out.

I always smell tobacco if I smell the sides of any tin except for the McClellend's/C&D type. That includes the round dunhill tins. I just keep them as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.