PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I tried some St James Flake a while ago and it was extraordinary. But Samuel Gawith blends have been out of stock here in Europe (at least Germany) since I started smoking. There are some sold in Sweden, but it retails for about $30 per 50g/2oz tin, and that is too much. Does anyone know of another way to buy some in Europe? @gawithhoggarth talked about shipments but I have not seen anything new. If no one knows anything I'll be forced to post in the buying/selling/trading part of the forum instead :)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I realize we all have different resources/values, but I’d encourage you not to dismiss out-of-hand the idea of paying $30/tin for a blend that you really enjoy—especially if you cannot purchase it any other way from a supplier.

Also, consider whether you might be able to save some money by purchasing it by the half-pound or pound.

Finally, you should definitely check out Synjeco, in Switzerland. I just checked their web site, and a tin of St. James Flake is US$14.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I realize we all have different resources/values, but I’d encourage you not to dismiss out-of-hand the idea of paying $30/tin for a blend that you really enjoy—especially if you cannot purchase it any other way from a supplier.

Also, consider whether you might be able to save some money by purchasing it by the half-pound or pound.

Finally, you should definitely check out Synjeco, in Switzerland. I just checked their web site, and a tin of St. James Flake is US$14.
Sorry: I was looking at the price per 50g for *bulk* purchases. The tins are US$18.

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I would definetly buy from synjeco if it wasn't for the fact that they are not in the EU, and because of taxes the tobacco would be just as costly as here, probably. But they have plugs which could be fun. I can agree that $30 is not an incredible amount, but I want to eventually stock up and cellar some of these blends after trying more, and that is not possible with those prices unfortunately.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I would definetly buy from synjeco if it wasn't for the fact that they are not in the EU, and because of taxes the tobacco would be just as costly as here, probably. But they have plugs which could be fun. I can agree that $30 is not an incredible amount, but I want to eventually stock up and cellar some of these blends after trying more, and that is not possible with those prices unfortunately.
since the UK left Europe the likelyhood is that when/if GH/s Gawith returns to Europe then the prices will be increased as taxes will be due on import just as if you bought from Switzerland and imported it yourself.
No longer the benifit of the single market.Import/local vat taxes & tobacco duties

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Unfortunately cigarworld doesn't ship tobacco abroad according to the website, maybe @Chris from Cigarworld can chime in. You might have more luck contacting kohlhase und kopp for information as I have not seen SG anywhere in Germany and they are the importer according to their website.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
20 to 30 $ per 1,75oz tobacco (50gr)is the very standard price for pipetobaccies in the Scandinavian countries ,thats why its quite uncommon for the average pipesmoker to build any significant size of tobacco cellar

Reactions: paulfg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@TheWhale13 do you have a SmokingPipes account, and added to the shopping cart to check out shipping rates?

Or contacted SmokingPipes, to see how much shipping would cost?

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Thank you guys for the answers. Because of some very strange coincidence, I managed to get a hold of some from a German tobacconist yesterday. Maybe Samuel Gawith will be sold more frequently in Germany soon :)

Reactions: PipeIT

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
Unfortunately cigarworld doesn't ship tobacco abroad according to the website, maybe @Chris from Cigarworld can chime in. You might have more luck contacting kohlhase und kopp for information as I have not seen SG anywhere in Germany and they are the importer according to their website.
Correct, we are forbidden by law to ship tobacco within the european union. And it depends a lot on the details for other destinations than the EU if we can ship tobacco or not. UK and USA is a big no until now. Sorry!