PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zion

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
qbWzIaK.jpg

Samuel Gawith Golden Glow.

If this tobacco was a guitar, it would be a Les Paul Jr.. Actually, it would be a Collings 290 as it’s better constructed than a Gibson.

A straight ahead smoke which I am enjoying. Can I be enjoying it after one bowl? There will be more. By that very statement, yes, I’m enjoying it.

Make your own espresso? Before I installed a pure water system, I often had to descale my lever espresso machine. Using diluted citric acid is a preferred medium to clean the innards of water mineral deposits which greatly influence espresso flavor and machine performance. Golden Glow has that distinct citric acid mouth feel that makes my mouth water. Similar to eating Picanha which I prepare with rock salt.

I paired it with a bomber of Glorious English. They ain’t going to sleep together, but there’s some attraction.

Salty citrus acidic simple smoke.

Prepare to rock and roll with Golden Glow.
Z44Zk7M.jpg

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Glad to see a positive review of this blend.
I bought a fair amount of it during/just after the McClellan panic of 2018 when I a lot of different Virginia’s. haven’t tried it yet since I’m waiting for it to age a bit.

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I also got a nice bit of tea flavor. I smoked this one more previously, haven't had it in a while. I just turned everything over looking for something yesterday. I haven't the heart right now to find wherever the hell my tins of these are.

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I have a few jars aging since 2012. I wasn’t impressed when I first smoked it all those years ago. But after it ages it’s a great smoke.

Reactions: danimalia

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Golden Glow is on the radar. I’m waiting for a 50g tin to pop up though. My supplier only has the 250g in stock. Scared to pull the trigger on the big one in case it’s not for me. I love fvf though, so I’m sure I’d get some form of enjoyment out of this blend

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Yeah, this was one of my go to Virginia blends when I started smoking a dozen years ago and for all the reasons you note in your review. Bought and cellared about half a dozen tins and haven't cracked one since 2010, being as I stopped piping for about 5 years. I'll have to give it another go this summer. It was a great summer blend.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
it’s a subtle blend, but a slow cadence yields the citric sweetness in the original posters review. It’s a favorite for me, especially on a clean palette.

Reactions: rushx9

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
I tried couple bowls almost four years ago, when I just picked up a pipe. I couldn't feel much, it was my "Latakia period". Need to smoke it again, I moved towards VA and VA/Per, and now can appreciate subtlety of some Virginia blends.

Reactions: odobenus

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Interesting comparisons... it does have that mellow, natural, bare- bones but still zingy vibe of an LPj... Also, much like your citrus espresso machine cleaner, I like to use it to reset a pipe that may be starting to take on a ghost. If I've smoked VaPers or Danish style Cavendish in a bowl but want to get it back to neutral to really taste a straight Va, a bowl of GG does the trick. Another trick is milking a heavy Lakeland ghost.. if I run out of Grasmere or 1792 I can smoke GG in a ghosted pipe and still taste plenty of essence while getting my Gawith Va fix!

Reactions: BROBS

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Re
How does this compare to FVF?
Taste wise, FVF has a candied stewed fruit taste where as golden glow has a citrus sweet flavor. I asked the Samuel Gawith reps at the 2008 Chicago pipe show how the tobacco blend differs. He stated it was the same combination of leaf, difference being in pressing & steaming time. From least to most time in press, Golden Glow, Best Brown Flake, Full Virginia Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.