PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Big fan of the quality of SG tobacco. Being slightly impatient, I do sometimes find their often 'wet-napkin' tobaccos to try the pesky dragon inside me. The most significant compliment I offer to SG is that they have made blends of a type I don't normally enjoy very enjoyable -- even delicious. For example, I am not a Lakeland or VAPer smoker, but their Lakeland Dark (much like 1792 but w/o the tonquin) and their Cabbie's Mixture are both very delicious.

piperray

Lurker
Dec 27, 2016
Gawith has many good blends, I personally have always 3 of their blends in my rotation. Commonwealth, Black XX Twist and St. Jmames Flake,also Skiff Mixture and Bothy Flake are nice. Their aromatics tried some of them once and those were not my cup of tea. These are just my choices nothing more.

-Ray

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
FVF and St. James Flake are truly excellent blends but the plug versions are to die for!

"I am stunned to read that 500g can be bought for $60!! I pay circa £125 per 500g (about $150 at today's exchange rate)."

Bentbob, yes, it's shocking how much HM Government steals from us poor pipe smokers in taxes. I don't think the yanks fully appreciate how little they have to pay for their favourite blends.
Perhaps that might explain why so many have stashed away so much? My 'stash' currently sits at about 20 tins and perhaps 10 fifty gram plugs...the amount most yanks would buy in one hit!
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great response so far. I'm even more impressed with the SG line. You only have to be attentive to make sure you are ordering the blends that fill your tastes.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Samuel Gawith is one of my top blenders/producers.

And there are so many of their blends that I have not had a chance to try yet!
FVF, St. James flake, Navy flake, Best Brown flake, Squadron Leader, and Bothy flake are all great.
I still need to try Skiff, Commonwealth, Brown Sugar flake, Balkan flake, and many others!

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Samuel Gawith is one of my favorite blenders. They excel for me in the nic-bomb department. I particularly love Brown No. 4 Kendal Twist and 1792 Flake.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Just an observation on the Cabbies Mixture, the general consensus of opinion on a UK Facebook page is that it is best dried slightly and aged for a few months.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I liked cabbies, just a shame it's not a tad stronger.

@bentbob which uk website is that?

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
@bentbob which uk website is that?
Apologies if this contravenes the forum rules! It's not a website nor a forum, the UK Pipe and Tobacco Club have a Facebook page.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have only smoked a few of the SG offerings and have enjoyed all of the ones I tried.

BBF, Bothy Flake and English Summer Flake are all blends that I find to be excellent.

I have tins of St James Flake, S.L. w Perique, and FVF squirreled away that I look forward to sampling when the time is right.

I'd also like to have a go at the Brown Sugar Flake should the opportunity present itself. :puffy:

stoneheaven

Lurker
Jan 21, 2017
For me, SG produces quality tobacco, but I could not continue with the soapiness. I know a lot of guys like it, so I don't knock it. Just a matter of figuring our your own taste, and sticking with what you like.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Lakeland blends with flavorings are the case study for designating pipes. The flavorings ghost pipes in a dramatic way, so you have to devote a pipe or pipes to those blends. This is the consensus on Forums, though I haven't tried the SG aros because they don't sound good to me -- soapy and floral. I like only tobacco forward aromatics, and mostly smoke non-aromatics, so non-aros are the SG blends I'd try.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Just an observation on the Cabbies Mixture, the general consensus of opinion on a UK Facebook page is that it is best dried slightly and aged for a few months.
I am with you in the drying part but CM is much too delicious to put on some age here! :wink: :lol:

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
For me, SG produces quality tobacco, but I could not continue with the soapiness. I know a lot of guys like it, so I don't knock it. Just a matter of figuring our your own taste, and sticking with what you like
Apart from a handful of aromatics none of the SG line up has the soapy floral thing going on.
Now everything by GH has the soapy floral thing going on, even their none aromatics through contamination. I remember complaining about this to my local tobacconist and he claimed even his paperwork from GH smells soapy.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Gawith, Hoggarth & Co and Samuel Gawith are up there with the best of the best. A house with true integrity and one of the only real Olde Worlde houses still around today. I hope they can stick it out for a very long, long time.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
The SG aros I have tried don't have the lakeland flavoring.
Grousemoor claims lemon grass, but I think it is more like what pinesol might tase like. Perfection has a noticable vanilla flavor. Firedance is berries, and Chocolate flake (besides being awesome) is chocolate.
I've only tried one GH, best brown #2, and it doea remind me of Grannie's purse.

Status
Not open for further replies.