PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I confess to only smoking one tin, but strong coffee seemed to be the ideal companion - it's a punchy smoke. Still have another tin cellared, but it's going to be a while before I get to it.
You're right, the first time i smoked it I got checked a little by it. I seem to have built a tolerance now thankfully. I'll have to try it with coffee.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
@eljimmy
When I smoked the 1792 for the first time, I had been smoking Toscano cigars for at least 20 years, yet the 1792 gave me the nicotine hit.
Sometimes it's strange, perhaps it depends on sensitivity to certain ingredients or the type of tobacco processing.
For example, I noticed that I tolerate Virginia fire-cured worse than Kentucky.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
@eljimmy
When I smoked the 1792 for the first time, I had been smoking Toscano cigars for at least 20 years, yet the 1792 gave me the nicotine hit.
Sometimes it's strange, perhaps it depends on sensitivity to certain ingredients or the type of tobacco processing.
For example, I noticed that I tolerate Virginia fire-cured worse than Kentucky.
Oh wow, yeah, guess it comes down to tolerance/sensitivity levels to these blends. One thing I do wish is that the sauce level would stay the same and not slowly dissipate.

Reactions: Uguccione

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
1792 is such a Samuel Gawith product! That's meant in the best possible way. Like Grousemoor, the assorted oddly flavoured plugs and flakes (both available, and discontinued), it's part of the last stand by a small, independent blender. I'd like it for no other reason than that.

But I like for the flavour and strength too. It's got so much of each, I find myself smoking slowly without having to think about it. A Falcon bantam bowl (think Dunhill group two, or even one, if there is such a thing) lasts a good forty or forty-five minutes. So, despite the price, it's economically a wise choice!

Long may it be available!!!

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
I have a tin coming anyday now! I like the sound of it, but can’t stock up yet, as so far Ennerdale is my favourite tobacco. I’ve been OK on other Gawith stuff for nic likes ropes, so not expecting too much, but I guess we’ll see…

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Oh wow, yeah, guess it comes down to tolerance/sensitivity levels to these blends. One thing I do wish is that the sauce level would stay the same and not slowly dissipate.
I've gotten a slight nic buzz from Stokkebye Navy and Sutliff Virginia Slices. It only happened once or twice and fairly close to each other in timing, so I assume I may have been slightly under the weather. My usual smokes are considerably stronger than those two. The human body is such a mystery

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I first tried 1792 about 15 years ago, and did not like it at all. The old "dead mouse in a tin" line was perfectly apt. I couldn't finish the tin, so I mailed the rest to another online pipe guy, who said it was great, nothing wrong with the tin. Go figure.

But over the years I've gotten curious about it again and picked up a tin during the recent SG release, so I'll be giving it another try before long. puffy

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I grabbed a couple of tins from the latest drop. I last smoked it 16 or 18 years ago and didn't care for it likely due to the dark fired component. Smoked 3 or 4 bowls of the new stuff and like the strength and tonquin note but find the dark fired component (Tanzanian leaf by description) to almost be a bit too earthy for my taste. I haven't decided exactly what I think about it just yet but will keep coming back to it.

Jon C.P.G.

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2023
Canada
It's about all I smoke 75 to 80% of the time these days, Big bowls, small bowls, briar, meerschaum, drier and moister, it's good in all ways.

Great with Guinness, Water, strong black coffee or Dr Pepper. It's definitely "my blend" and the nicotine hit is nice. Got a few meers dedicated to the stuff.

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I grabbed a couple of tins from the latest drop. I last smoked it 16 or 18 years ago and didn't care for it likely due to the dark fired component. Smoked 3 or 4 bowls of the new stuff and like the strength and tonquin note but find the dark fired component (Tanzanian leaf by description) to almost be a bit too earthy for my taste. I haven't decided exactly what I think about it just yet but will keep coming back to it.
You know, if you ever decide it's not for you, just hit me up. We can work something out. No risk trials are always nice. ;)