Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake - Try Now or Later?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
A while ago I purchased 250g of SG 1792 Flake, wanting to see what all the hubub is about. I purchased the large quantity due to my love of stronger English tobaccos and such. I love the Dunhill EMP & NC, most all of the Frog Morton tobaccos, Black House and I really enjoyed Peterson's Irish Flake which took me for a bit of a ride. Thing is, I have heard about the heavy nic in 1792 and the suggestion that you should be an experienced pipe smoker before trying 1792 Flake.
It is -41C here with the wind chill, but supposed to be above freezing, 4C, by the weekend. I was thinking about giving the 1792 Flake a try on the weekend, or perhaps it is better suited to a spring or summer day when I can chill on the deck and enjoy. Your thoughts?

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Open that sucker up. The hair your body will immediately sprout will keep you warm on these cold days. Jar the rest and enjoy.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Nah, it'll be fine in cold weather, I'd probably prefer it on a cool day. It does have a lot of nicotine. If, like me, this is an issue, smoke a small bowl of it on a full stomach and problem solved...for the most part.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Too friggin' cold out today for a bowl, but I think I will give it a try on the weekend with a nice strong coffee after lunch or something to that effect. I understand that a full stomach and being well hydrated are the key here. I know when I had a bowl of Irish Flake, my world kind of tilted a bit and it took a few minutes to get my balance back, lol. I assume that 1792 Flake is not vastly diffent than the Irish Flake in flavour and the nic hit.
Already put the flake in a few jars to age, as I had to open the package and check it out.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I tried 1792 once. Still have the tin minus 2 flakes. It is the only pipe tobacco that turned me totally green. I don't think it was the strength of the tobacco per se but the strength plus the sickening casing (Tonquin?).

I recommend you smoke it in a cob and keep a bucket handy. You should be OK smoking it outside. You will need all the fresh air you can get.

I will try this blend again when I grow up (I'm 61 now). :oops:

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Samuel Gawith's 1792 Flake is flavoured with tonquin, which has the peculiar ability to smooth out the smoke and alleviate the sensations of tongue bite. Which may fool the victim smoker into huffing it a bit more than is wise. Almost the same product is available without the tonquin, under the name Bracken Flake. With all such heavy products, it is best to sip as slow as possible, and not climb ladders.
Tonquin is still used in European confectionary and perfume, but is not permitted in tobacco manufacture in the US. Deadly to rats, allegedly carcinogeous to human lungs (not conclusively proven).
With 1792 flake, you must smoke it seemingly moister than you normally do. Reason being that the feel of the oiled flakes may seem wetter, when in reality the H2O has already left the building.
Enjoy. Don't fall down. Especially not in snow drifts.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be, though buying 250g blind was certainly a gamble.
I hope you enjoy it.
I would recommend that you smoke it under favourable conditions when you are comfortable - if that is a spring patio, then so be it. If you can be comfortable in -40C outside in a survival suit, then give it a go!
If caffeine affects you much, though, I would avoid it with my first bowl. I am sensitive to it and the combination with 1792 would probably make my heart skip a beat.
A full stomach is definitely the way to go - also, the blend seems like it is treated with flame retardants. Have it dried well and processed heavily - whether that is rubbed out finely (difficult to do) or cubed or whatever the case may be. If you can fold and stuff this flake, then you are a far better pipe smoker than me.
Let us know how it works out for you.
By the way, I haven't tried Irish Flake but I have tried Jackknife and since that burns much easier and I got kicky with a larger bowl than 1792 I found it to be stronger in effect even though the 1792 is probably stronger overall. (Don't be surprised with relights galore...)
Edit: Atboth, maybe you are right about the drying thing but I can't keep that sucker lit right out of the tin so I'm not sure of the best approach.
As well, I haven't heard anything about tonquin being particularly carcinogenic (relative to the tobacco itself) so I am wondering if you could elaborate at all. I have heard about the blood thinning effects and so on...

Jul 12, 2011
Love the stuff, smoke all that now and get another pnd or three to

cellar :)
As for casing, I found that a little extra dry time really does round

it out/and it becomes just a great/rich dark flake (sometimes I

like a little stronger toq flavor/sometimes not... ;-) but I do

have a briar and a cob dedicated to this blend as it does ghost

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
1792 is not my favorite but it is good and strong. I like to puff on it along with sipping some 114 proof bourbon. It makes my taste buds just pop!

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
WOW, this tobacco seems line quite the enigma to me. Experiences seem to quite varied and wide ranging, piques my interest even more. I got a pretty decent deal on this flake, under $25.00/250g and bought is on a whim while ordering an 8oz tin of Black House from SP. Seemed like a pretty good deal, so I jumped on it.
I will try it in a cob, as suggested and maybe some tea instead of coffee, although I am a hardcore coffee drinker. Is a cob suggested for "ghosting" issues or is there another reason to not use a briar? As I will be smoking outside, likely the snowbank will suffice as an acceptable receptacle, I will make ready an acceptable & discrete location.
The flake did seem rather moist when I put it into jars, but I will try it first letting it dry out just a bit and see how it goes. I will make sure I am well fed, so I have something to contribute to the recycling. I will advise the wife to come check on me every so often and if I am face down in the snow, not moving that I may be in need of assistance. I will for sure post my experience & feelings after trying some 1792 Flake.
All in all, I and kind of excited and nervous at the same time, kind of like a first date with the head cheerleader at high school.

Jul 12, 2011
It will ghost so why some smoke it in a cob, but I smoke

it enough to dedicate it to a briar as well...smoke it in a small

bowl to start in order to get a taste of her power...or not ;-)
If lady Nic (lady in the red dress or that head cheerleader) rocks

your world, I find a lil chocolate after the smoke will calm things

down

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Flyguy, if that 1792 is too much for you, send it to me and I'll send you something lighter in trade. I've intended to try the 1792 as it's been recommended to me by a few people who know my tastes, but I'm not placing another order for several weeks.
I think I will keep this to prank my pipe smoking friends. Watching good friends puke is always entertaining around the campfire! When I was a kid we would spin visitors in our swivel chair until they barfed; highly entertaining! :lol:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Having smoked both, I find 1792 a bit more manageable than Irish Flake. Both are nicotine-heavy. I do find 1792 a bit more subtle than Irish Flake due to its' Tonquin flavoring; it's also not as "spicy".
Smoking at -41C / -41F .... I did it a couple times when in Fairbanks AK ( this was the recorded temperature, not the perceived with wind chill, it's usually not windy there ) .... it was a very short smoke, and the stem got a little frost on it from the saliva.
Both 1792 and Irish Flake are suited for cold weather. I find them a bit overbearing in the summer, even the Alaskan summers with temps topping at 70F / 21 C.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
1792 is not my favorite but it is good and strong. I like to puff on it along with sipping some 114 proof bourbon. It makes my taste buds just pop!

I like that idea quite a bit and will keep that in mind if the 1792 Flake and I get along.
I also like to sprinkle it in with a low nic baccy such as CH or Walnut, 1-Q, etc. Just enough to bring the nic level up a bit.

An interesting idea, I like it.
I will try it in my cob, smoke it slow and easy and see how that goes; the chocolate is a good thing to know.
Smoking at -41C / -41F .... I did it a couple times when in Fairbanks AK ( this was the recorded temperature, not the perceived with wind chill, it's usually not windy there ) .... it was a very short smoke, and the stem got a little frost on it from the saliva.
Both 1792 and Irish Flake are suited for cold weather. I find them a bit overbearing in the summer, even the Alaskan summers with temps topping at 70F / 21 C.
Yeah, it is cold but not too bad if you have grown up with it, the howling wind is what makes it though. It was -30C and with the wind made it -41C. I don't need to smoke my pipe that bad to be outside in those temps. The first time I smoked Irish Flake, I got light headed and dizzy for a bit, so I expect something similar for the 1792, but I will be better prepared this time. Looking forward to the "experience"........well except for the potential puking part.

Jul 12, 2011
Also try it in a clay, I really like it this way as well. If you google

Penn Valley clay pipes, the Dutch Gouda is a great sized bowl,

also very inexpensive to have a few of them around (just don't

touch a fired up bowl/the clay gets red-hot)

Status
Not open for further replies.