PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
Wow- this stuff is complex. Opening the tin it smells very unusual, like maybe a very expensive chocolate fruit cake found in a jar buried in the peat for 2000 years. Couldn't light it, had to rub it out and dry it. Once lit it had a powerful effect upon the system. It was overpowering -like a big tire-fire. It is flavored with Tonquin bean- well I wanted to try Tonquin and now I have. I didn't give up. I did about four bowls over a couple of days. Finally I took a pinch and rubbed it in with a bowl of Orlik Golden Sliced and left it in the sun for 1/2 an hour. It was quite manageable then. But I made an important discovery! I am allergic to it! My mouth has had sores in it since the stuff showed up and this last attempt demonstrated conclusively that 1792 Flake is the culprit. It has to be the flavoring. I have the same reaction to Brazil nuts.

I hope to God it didn't ruin the pipe!
theendofthetrail.jpg

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Yum. 1792 is my fav smoke at the moment. I remember my first tin. It smelt like a dead rat in a tin to me. It took me over a week to get the pluck to try and smoke a bowl and after i did i couldn't move for 3 hours.
I am over my fear and i can smoke it while moving now :)
It is a real treat hehe

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm too afraid to try it.
I am a nicotine lightweight, and despite the fact that I am really interested in tasting the tonquin topping, I'm not so naive to think that I'll be able to handle 1792.
I've got Sam's Flake on the way as I have heard that that is a milder VA with tonquin. They aren't the same by any means, but it'll probably be the only way I get to smoke anything similar!

Jul 12, 2011
I just blasted through a 5yr old tin, man the stuff is good/even better

with 3-5yrs on her...smoke her in the AM w/coffee. Just smoke in

a small bowl. Also try Bracken flake as well, both are outstanding

Love/Hate blends...give it some time, I really didn't like 1792 the first

Tin or two, but now I crave the stuff

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Since you are allergic do you plan on selling it or trading it on the forum? I'd be interested in trying it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Pipeworks/Wilke Gotham Park had the same effect on me - not sure what ingredient caused the tongue bite but I am reasonably sure it was something in that particular tobacco. I haven't ben able to smoke for over a week - still recovering! My entire mouth felt like it had a chemical burn.
From now on, with new tobaccos, I am testing a small half bowl, and then waiting a day to see the effect. I don't ever want to go through this again.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
smoking dragon, was the tonquin topping still present after a few years? If so, I may consider getting a tin for the cellar...

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
Since you are allergic do you plan on selling it or trading it on the forum? I'd be interested in trying it.
I reckon I will give it a week or two for my mouth to recover. Then I will make one more attempt. It really is like some kind of sweat lodge vision quest thing. whew.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I like to rub it out and let it dry for days in the open. At that point it is hard and dry as Rat turds. Mix it 50/50 with 5Brothers and it will make the hair stand up. But the smoke, ahhhh the smoke is outstanding.

Jul 12, 2011
@Sparroa - tonquin topping still present, a few years on her made it a richer/smoother smoke as it does with most Vs
It is just THIS damn good ;-)

1341808473710490.jpg

from the tin;

This is a full strength, mellow tobacco comprising a blend of dark fired Tanzanian leaf. It is Gawith's best-selling premium grade flake. It starts as 7 lbs. of hand stripped leaf and goes through a steaming process prior to being pressed. The cake, having been prepared, is wrapped in a select leaf and packed by hand into a 12 inch square. This cake is pressed and left for a minimum of two hours. Then, the pressed cake is placed into a steam press where it is baked at full heat for two to three hours. The baked cake has then taken on 1792's characteristic rich, dark color. It's hardening occurs during cooling. Once the process of cutting the flake and adding a tonquin flavor is carried out, hand wrapping and packing finalizes 1792, making it ready for rubbing into your pipe. Also sold as Cob Flake in Europe.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I LOVE the STUFF.Great smoke..Got some 5 Bros coming tomorow,will try your mix Brother Fisher!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm definitely not ready now but maybe in 3-5 years I'll be hardened from battle and up for the challenge...
Since it's all Virginia, it should improve nicely.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried this stuff years ago and did not care for it. The nicotine didn't bother me but the Tonquin flavoring made it a very foul tasting blend to me. I love other SG products, just not this one. It does have it's following and has been around forever, I think everyone should try it at least once.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I think I need to cellar another bulk pound of this. Just finished a tin of this, good stuff, and only gets better with age......like me.
:puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.