PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Not too long ago, I bought an 8 oz bulk purchase of Sam Gawith 1792 flake from one of our sponsors. I had smoked nearly a full tin purchased from my local B&M and wanted a bit more, some to cellar, some to smoke. Apart from being large rough looking flakes, not the perfect little flakes like in the tin, it looked and smelled very similar to the tinned stuff that I was liking so much. Here is my problem, I can't keep the stuff lit to smoke it. I've dried it; started with an hour in flake form, then an hour in rubbed out, longer times as well, I left one flake out for three days until it was near crispy. I live in the middle of the prairies where the relative humidity is dry so it was dried well. I tried it folded, rubbed out, cubed, no dice. I packed it tight, loose and in between. I've smoked in different pipes : Dunhills and basket pipes. I've smoked it in pots, billiards, dublins; big, small bowls. Charring light and regular light and within 3 to 4 sips/puffs the smoke is thin and its going out. I tried up to ten relights and that just got me a scorched tongue. There is usually a fair bit of goop in the bottom of the pipe when I finally throw in the towel and dump it. I should say that I smoke other flakes (Petersons UF, IF, Dunhill Luxury Flake, Penzance, even other SG flakes like FVF and Balkan - no problem, maybe one or two relights if that. I'm about ready to cellar this stuff and give up on it. Suggestions?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I don't have any suggestions, you have done everything I would have recommended. That said, 1792 can be a fickle beast.
Well, one thing you might try is to DGT it. Let it dry to almost crispy then pack a bowl and light it. Take a few puffs and tamp it down. You want the top layer evenly lit. Let it sit overnight and fire it up the next day to see if that helps at all.
There can be wild variations in batches, I have seen plenty over the years. Whatever you do, don't get rid of it. Jar the rest up and let it sit and maybe it will come around down the road.
Mike

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I've had the same experience with 1792 and it's been consistently the same since I opened the tin in march. No, I haven't jarred it thinking that there might just be that moisture in there. I smoke a shredded flake the other night with the same results. I usually smoke it down to nothing just out of spite but the effort level is too much like work.
So, I don't have any suggestions, but I can commiserate.
Do you smoke hot? I tend to, maybe that's the problem? It could be a similar batch or maybe we can find something in common that could be preventing us from enjoying it.
Did you have any problems with your initial tin?

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
No, I had no problems with the original tin. It smoked like a dream with a very short dry time. In fact, I practiced smoking flakes (with helpful packing hints from this forum) with it and while I still prefer to rub out or cube, I had very few problems even then which is why I bought 8 oz bulk.
I rarely smoke hot, unless I get engrossed in something and then I realize I'm puffing away like an old steam train. Mine is jarred and is going to the back of the cellar until I discover it later and hopefully, it won't be quite so frustrating.
Thanks for your hints guys, I appreciate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.