Same Peterson Design but One has Deeper Reservoir.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
yes sir....got a St Patriks 2011 Peterson and nickel never got loose in North Carolina cost or Texas until I bring it to Idaho dry winter and it got loose
I'm beginning to think the problem is cheap glue. I don't know, but would not be surprised to find that the pipes made in the UK are using old fashion horse glue. Why? Because the motto of the British empire is "We do it this way because we've always done it this way." puffy

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm beginning to think the problem is cheap glue. I don't know, but would not be surprised to find that the pipes made in the UK are using old fashion horse glue. Why? Because the motto of the British empire is "We do it this way because we've always done it this way." puffy
Could be! Ideally, they shouldn't have to rely on glue.

And the motto above applies to a few of us pipe smokers!

Reactions: FLDRD

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
It's really very simple.... If you do get sludge in the well it's because your tobacco is way too wet. Dry it out some and problem solved so no need for the well. The so called "dry system" is just a gimmick to sell pipes. puffy
Isn’t the dry system the Savinelli equivalent? I think that one is coupled with the balsa filter. Probably still a bit of a gimmick, although I’m intrigued by the Peterson system as a fan.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Isn’t the dry system the Savinelli equivalent? I think that one is coupled with the balsa filter. Probably still a bit of a gimmick, although I’m intrigued by the Peterson system as a fan.
Yes, it is the Savinelli answer to the Peterson System. The newer ones are 9mm, so they take either the balsa or charcoal filters. Or, you can smoke it without and let the moisture pool in well. There are obvious differences, as the Peterson stems are meant to reduce suction and I've never heard Savinelli claim that for their own. I will say that the Sav p-lip is more comfortable to me (for what that's worth)

Reactions: romaso

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Is moisture really that much of a problem for some folks that Peterson would design a contraption like this?

It’s like a drool bucket.

How much condensation results from the design itself vs produced from enjoying a bowl of tobacco?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is moisture really that much of a problem for some folks that Peterson would design a contraption like this?
Yes. Designed when folks couldn't get on the 'Net and learn to dry the tobacco so that doesn't happen.
It’s like a drool bucket.
Gross. No, one shouldn't drool down the stem.
How much condensation results from the design itself vs produced from enjoying a bowl of tobacco?
Most is result of moist tobacco, too fast burning, or smoking in high humidity.

Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
“Most is result of moist tobacco, too fast burning, or smoking in high humidity.”
[/QUOTE]

I agree on the moist. It seems that special engineering is required to enable folks to smoke wet, goop.

As for humidity, —I’m from New Jersey. Our humidity is a dry rain. We sweat in the shower here. But my pipe burns cool and dry.

On edit. If anyone has ever dated a girl from New Jersey, you may be entitled to compensation.

Reactions: TheWhale13