PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can anyone please let me know why there is no FVF or St.James Flake available lately? Is it Covid related or are there lots of new pipe smokers whom have discovered how wonderful and unique Gawith’s tobacco’s are?
There have been long gaps in the past and we're not the only market that Gawith supplies. The Asian market has grown considerably in the past decade or so. In the past, part of the cause was distribution issues. Don't know what the cause is now, but eventually it will show up. In the meantime buy what's available.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Nobody seems to have any Samuel Gawith tobaccos in stock. Could it have something to do with the recent change of monarchs in the UK?
LOL no Charlie ain't taking all the tobacco!

We are constantly working on orders for the USA (and many other countries) but it can take up to 3 months to fulfil an order/container depending on what is ordered and then it sells out within several days once it reaches the States. There are regular shipments to USA.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
We send 4 times more tobacco to the USA now than ever before. If not more than that.
Similar to other places.
Do you honestly think a company does not constantly consider how to increase production when order books are full for months and months to come?
But it's not a simple concept to do, especially when using machines that are over 100 years old and cannot easily be replaced or modified. There are also limits set by the government on various things. Storage issues and so forth. Not to mention the difficulties and complexities that must be over come for track and trace and other regulations.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
We send 4 times more tobacco to the USA now than ever before. If not more than that.
Similar to other places.
Do you honestly think a company does not constantly consider how to increase production when order books are full for months and months to come?
But it's not a simple concept to do, especially when using machines that are over 100 years old and cannot easily be replaced or modified. There are also limits set by the government on various things. Storage issues and so forth. Not to mention the difficulties and complexities that must be over come for track and trace and other regulations.
@gawithhoggarth
Thanks for the snark.
It was a simple question.
STG and Mac Baren seem to have more modern equipment, why can’t you buy newer machines?. And, as you know, STG has sufficient headroom to produce plugs for other tobacco companies. Maybe you need to sub out more of your production if you can’t meet demand.

rick3wood

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2022
The Lone Star State
@gawithhoggarth
Thanks for the snark.
It was a simple question.
STG and Mac Baren seem to have more modern equipment, why can’t you buy newer machines?. And, as you know, STG has sufficient headroom to produce plugs for other tobacco companies. Maybe you need to sub out more of your production if you can’t meet demand.
lol, not sure subbing out SG is a very good idea, we already here constantly about tobacco “ its not as good as when so and so was making it”

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Similar to other places.

Keep up the good work!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No dog in this hunt, since I'm not buying any more tobacco, but the idea of STG making Gawith blends doesn't thrill me. They're pretty much the McDonald's of the pipe tobacco world, reliable at a modest level, and occasionally better. What they did to Peter Heinrich's Curly Block, not to mention Escudo, when they took over production of it was pretty damned bad.

And in general, Denmark is where British tobaccos go to die. And considering what K&K have been doing, I'll add Germany to that.

Gawith's wheezy old equipment is what is partly responsible for the character of its products, since it's processing of the tobaccos that results in the flavors that are so highly prized. While I've no doubt that newer equipment could be made to do the same, it would require a period of experimentation to find a similar result.

But maybe it doesn't matter. People don't seem to care what's in the tin as long as there's a NAME on it. Maybe the solution is to print a bunch of tins, just fill it with whatever and ship the shit.

As for tin seals, all that's required is that the contents be in good shape when they arrive. They're ready to be enjoyed and don't require aging, since they're already aged. Further aging is a choice, not a requirement, and if the buyer isn't willing to take responsibility for their choice, that's on them.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Wonder what the percentage of Kendal tobacco is that’s shipped to the US & never smoked? I reckon about 50% is bought up by hoarders who’ll probably ‘kick the bucket’ before smoking less than 10% of their cellar stock.
Are the Chinese into the GH drops in the US like they are with the Germain’s drops in the UK? With the lower prices in the states, I probably think they are.
Online shopping…..both a blessing & a curse for the average pipesmoker.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
As someone else said, I'm seeing G&H/SG products at online retailers more than I have in the past few years. There used to be nothing. Now there seems to be stuff in stock at different online retailers, just not the heavy hitters - those get bought up within the first few days of going in stock. FVF, St. James and those other sought after blends go fast. But there's enough to get what you need at least one or two times a year. But if you miss the drops, your pretty much outta luck unless your willing to pay after market prices.
I'd rather only buy it one time a year, as much as i need in one shot. Asking another manufacturer to produce their product simply so it stays in stock online is a recipe for disaster. It's not hard to get, just pay attention to when drops are.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No dog in this hunt, since I'm not buying any more tobacco, but the idea of STG making Gawith blends doesn't thrill me. They're pretty much the McDonald's of the pipe tobacco world, reliable at a modest level, and occasionally better. What they did to Peter Heinrich's Curly Block, not to mention Escudo, when they took over production of it was pretty damned bad.

And in general, Denmark is where British tobaccos go to die. And considering what K&K have been doing, I'll add Germany to that.

Gawith's wheezy old equipment is what is partly responsible for the character of its products, since it's processing of the tobaccos that results in the flavors that are so highly prized. While I've no doubt that newer equipment could be made to do the same, it would require a period of experimentation to find a similar result.

But maybe it doesn't matter. People don't seem to care what's in the tin as long as there's a NAME on it. Maybe the solution is to print a bunch of tins, just fill it with whatever and ship the shit.

As for tin seals, all that's required is that the contents be in good shape when they arrive. They're ready to be enjoyed and don't require aging, since they're already aged. Further aging is a choice, not a requirement, and if the buyer isn't willing to take responsibility for their choice, that's on them.

STG makes (made?) Revor and perhaps all the GH plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.