PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
SG has become one of my favorite blenders, with Squadron Leader and FVF at the top of the list.

Earlier in the week, while reading the history section of their website, http://www.samuelgawith.co.uk/default.asp?PageId=4 ,

I began to wonder, they still use a few pieces of equipment that was almost antique when they opened shop in the late 1700s...how old are some of these SG blends that I like so well??

I know Grousemoor is one of the original blends, but what else did they make 200+ years ago??

Anyone here know?

I emailed them, but have yet to get a response...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I know for sure that Sam's Flake, St James Flake, Chocolate Flake, and a few more are of very recent origin - the 2000s I believe...
I was not aware of Samuel Gawith before 2008 so I don't personally remember when they were introduced.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I never looked into this, but I am glad you brought up the topic Chris! 1792 is a top fav of mine and now I am curious...

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
So rothnh, FVF and the others you mentioned were in their original line back in 1795

And if they've never changed...that's cool

If/when they respond to my email with the actual line offered back then, I'll post it

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
So rothnh, FVF and the others you mentioned were in their original line back in 1795

And if they've never changed...that's cool
That to me is very remarkable. Looking forward to any reply you get Chris.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
1792 is the year that equipment for making snuff was brought from Glasgow to Kendal by another Kendal native (not Gawith). Basically, that year marks the beginning of the manufacture of tobacco products in Kendal. 1792 Flake was a later invention, but how much later is open to question -- maybe the email from SG will provide a definitive answer.
BTW, does anyone know what the heck is used to flavor Grousemoor? Weird stuff.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
People on TR say lemongrass is one of the flavour notes in Grousemoor but that doesn't mean its an ingredient. I never tried the stuff myself.
As well, I can't remember where I read it (maybe Christian Pipe Smokers forum) but a well informed member there seemed to believe that Full Virginia Flake was also of more recent origin. More of a modern take on Virginias than the ropes and such, probably aiming for the export market...
You'll have to rely on Samuel Gawith themselves for the best info!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Lawrence! I've read that review before. So is it really flavored with lemongrass? That's wild. I also posted on the "Grousemoor" thread last night. I tried it dried out a bit in a larger bowl (Peterson Lovat) and it was fantastic -- snow, ice and 45mph winds notwithstanding. Truly wonderful stuff. I'm on the fence at this point as to whether I like Grousemoor better or Ennerdale. Not that anyone has to choose, of course.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
1792 definitely has an old school taste, even if it is far younger than the name implies.
I wish they made another tonquin flake with just as much sauce but half the nicotine...

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I agree with you, simenon. i like the taste of 1792, but the nicotine is too strong for me to smoke much at all.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
That article doesn't mention that only a few years ago all the staff that actually make the baccy (of which there were very few) were in a syndicate that won the lottery.
And they all quit.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Chris:
Pipes & Tobaccos magazine did a profile on Samuel Gawith in issue 2, volume 4. That's one I don't have in my own collection, but someone else here might be able to hook you up with a JPEG of the article.
Back issues are available for sale on the P&T site. Just be aware that they don't make it easy to find what you're looking for: the subject index says the article was in volume 4, issue number 2. But when you go to order a back issue, they're only shown by publication dates -- not volumes and numbers.To make things worse, their vol/no system seems a bit quirky: Spring 1998 is Vol. 3, No. 1; Spring 1999 is Vol. 4, No. 4. Since this is a quarterly publication, there are only three issues between those two, so I don't have a clue how they came up with this.
You'll likely hear back from Samuel Gawith before you can figure out the right issue to look for! :)
Bob

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
+1 , I love commonwealth as well . I just brought a tin with me , to The Old Cajuns , He liked it as well . I was told it was an old blend .

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
It's dead-quiet-time in Europe this time of year. Everybody takes time off.
But yeah, I'm interested in the answer too ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.