PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I prefer salt and feel like it does a better job, because, as stated above, it is far more aggressive a leaching method. (Think high school chemistry and what you learned about constraitons equalizing each other.)
As for the shank -- yeah, that is often the place where the most attention is needed. I typically wrap a shank brush with a small gun patch, soak it in whatever I'm using (GA or vodka typically), insert the wrapped brush and let it sit in the shank for a good hour. Then remove the patch, vigorously scrub with a brush, moving to bristle cleaners, finishing with soft cleaners until they come out white.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Years ago several forum friends had cracks develop in their pipes after salt treatments, and I never used it again on a pipe.....it only took one good pipe for them to switch to cotton balls. If it needs more aggressive de-ghosting, I clean out the shank with a shank brush and pipe cleaners soaked in Everclear, then retort.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have used salt on probably 50 or sixty estate pipes. I have never noticed a problem. I understand my experience is limited. I do feel that the salt is part of the cleaning out of the bad stuff ( human input) from and in the shank into the bowl bottom. Wood being what it is, this travels. I suppose heat should kill some of this higher in the bowl. But I have had repeated amounts of stain come out in the shank even after a scrubbing with Everclear. When it comes to real elimination of someone else's saliva I have already decided to use Mike Myers and his ozone treatment in the future. :oops:

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Okie, if I were just doing my own pipes I would probably feel the same way. I work on pipes for collectors and guys who want their Fathers or Grandfathers pipes restored. The thought of doing anything that might damage one of these pipes is always a consideration. You might find that after a complete bowl cleaning (including a cotton ball or salt treatment), thoroughly scrubbing out the shank and bit, that a retort treatment takes the cleaning process to a whole new level.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
You might find that after a complete bowl cleaning (including a cotton ball or salt treatment), thoroughly scrubbing out the shank and bit, that a retort treatment takes the cleaning process to a whole new level.

+1

jonesee75

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Have used both cotton and salt. Both have worked very well. Cotton balls are much easier to work with. If you can get it, I would recommend Everclear. I know there are others who like to use a bourbon or rum to add "flavor" to the pipe. Honesty I have tried it but I did not taste it. Happy smokes and Happy Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.