PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Has anyone run into salt corrosion on metal pipe parts when doing a deep clean with salt and alcohol?

Im wanting to do a salt and alcohol clean on a Kaywoodie but Im concerned about the salt corroding the metal mortise. Obviously I dont plan on leaving the salt in the indefinitely, but I do know certain metals corrode faster than others.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Has anyone run into salt corrosion on metal pipe parts when doing a deep clean with salt and alcohol?

Im wanting to do a salt and alcohol clean on a Kaywoodie but Im concerned about the salt corroding the metal mortise. Obviously I dont plan on leaving the salt in the indefinitely, but I do know certain metals corrode faster than others.

Then use cotton balls. The salt runs a risk of cracking the bowl anyway and the cleanup is easier.

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.

I’ve done the salt treatment on a couple of Pete’s w/silver bands and haven’t had any corrosion problems.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

I think salt-and-alcohol treatments might be why my Kaywoodie developed cracks in the shank, although it's hard to know for sure.

Next time I need to deep-clean a pipe with a metal fitting, I'll probably use cotton balls (or just hot water.)

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I've always plugged the mortise from the bowl by using a q-tip wrapped with saran wrap.
A retort is another very usefull way to clean the mortise and bowl at the same time.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Why would you put salt in the mortise anyways…?

I used cotton balls and a fuzzy cotton pipe cleaner in the draft channel to soak up tar when I used to clean up my estates.

Reactions: Chalaw87

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Why would you put salt in the mortise anyways…?

I used cotton balls and a fuzzy cotton pipe cleaner in the draft channel to soak up tar when I used to clean up my estates.
My concern was the salt would dissolve some into the alcohol and the alcohol/salt solution would then come into contact with the mortise area. Salt solutions can seemingly seep into almost every location; just ask someone who's flooded from a hurricane, ha. funny, not funny

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Unless you leave the salt in place for a LONG time or if you don't rinse thoroughly there won't be enough time for corrosion to develop. I've used salt and alcohol treatment in both the bowl and mortise of many pipes with no ill effects. IME the mortise often needs more attention than than the bowl. YMMV

Reactions: Chalaw87