PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Depends on where you live and what your diet is like. Iodine was added for the people in US because lack of iodine intake in US. If you are in Japan with diet that contains plenty of iodine, you won't need it. Kosher salt also doesn't have iodine.
Yeah people that eat a lot of seafood get plenty of iodine.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Salt is an essential ingredient for cooking for me, but also acutely aware of what salt there is in certain other things when combining for flavor purposes. I err on the side of less, because I found I can ferret out the flavors overall better as the years and experiments have gone by and don't want salt (which I used to crave) crowding out other flavors.

As for hypertension - a cautionary tale!

My doctor and I would "argue" about once or twice a year about my blood pressure for a long, long time. He'd notice it because the only time I was in was for seasonal stuff that hit me in the winter months and I'd go on about losing a few pounds in the summer, and so on. The only time I really thought about it was having a ____ing root canal and having to look at the BP monitor going through the roof and the oral surgeon casually asking me if I was being treated for high blood pressure. LOL, moved on without a care. Well, mu doctor eventually retired and I was in to my new doctor in the winter with bronchitis. He was typing away on his tablet and I asked what antibiotic he was sending in for me to pick up and he looked up and smiled and said, "I'm putting in an order for your lisinopril and I'll see you in two weeks to see if it's the right amount." Haha, no more stupid arguments. It needed simple management and he wasn't going to let me get away with it anymore.

Fortunately, it was an easy add to my routine, no side effects, BP is great.

Takeaway for the BP was both he and the doctor I now have (yep, the next guy retired, fortunately not until after he may have saved my life for real on another occasion - for a different time) just advised moderation on salt, etc. - it never really appeared to be a serious concern, but I follow the advice!

Reactions: bullet08

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I've been told to steer well clear of grapefruit & grapefruit juice. I can't recall exactly why but it was something to do with one of the meds I take.

Orange, lemon, lime is fine, just not grapefruit cray

Regards,

Jay.
Don't know off the top of my head which ones, but that is a real concern with certain meds!!!!

My Dad eventually had the same caution and gave up his daily grapefruit from the tree that was on the property of their rental out west in the winter. Okay, he told my mom and she was on him until he gave it up, lol.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Don't know off the top of my head which ones, but that is a real concern with certain meds!!!!

My Dad eventually had the same caution and gave up his daily grapefruit from the tree that was on the property of their rental out west in the winter. Okay, he told my mom and she was on him until he gave it up, lol.
I 'think' it is due to one of the meds I have to take after a mega serious internal bleed about 4 years ago.

I was told it would negate the benefit of whatever drug was added to my intake after that incident. Omerazepole or maybe my statin drug after I had my TIA? Who knows, but I miss my grapefruit juice.

Regards,

Jay.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Salt is an essential ingredient for cooking for me, but also acutely aware of what salt there is in certain other things when combining for flavor purposes. I err on the side of less, because I found I can ferret out the flavors overall better as the years and experiments have gone by and don't want salt (which I used to crave) crowding out other flavors.

As for hypertension - a cautionary tale!

My doctor and I would "argue" about once or twice a year about my blood pressure for a long, long time. He'd notice it because the only time I was in was for seasonal stuff that hit me in the winter months and I'd go on about losing a few pounds in the summer, and so on. The only time I really thought about it was having a ____ing root canal and having to look at the BP monitor going through the roof and the oral surgeon casually asking me if I was being treated for high blood pressure. LOL, moved on without a care. Well, mu doctor eventually retired and I was in to my new doctor in the winter with bronchitis. He was typing away on his tablet and I asked what antibiotic he was sending in for me to pick up and he looked up and smiled and said, "I'm putting in an order for your lisinopril and I'll see you in two weeks to see if it's the right amount." Haha, no more stupid arguments. It needed simple management and he wasn't going to let me get away with it anymore.

Fortunately, it was an easy add to my routine, no side effects, BP is great.

Takeaway for the BP was both he and the doctor I now have (yep, the next guy retired, fortunately not until after he may have saved my life for real on another occasion - for a different time) just advised moderation on salt, etc. - it never really appeared to be a serious concern, but I follow the advice!
Salt is a funny thing. You grow tolerance for it. Without noticing too much, amount you add increases. Then once you know, you start to cut down on it and find out less isn't so bad. When it comes to cooking, I usually add just enough to taste other ingredients. Then serve salt on the side. My wife hates salty food. Just a little bit more intensify the taste, but just a bit too much make it too salty to eat.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I've been told to steer well clear of grapefruit & grapefruit juice. I can't recall exactly why but it was something to do with one of the meds I take.

Orange, lemon, lime is fine, just not grapefruit cray

Regards,

Jay.
"Grapefruit juice inhibits the CYP3A4 enzyme of the cytochrome P450 system in the intestinal mucosa, increasing the bioavailability of drugs with a high first pass metabolism. Therapeutic doses of the affected drugs may produce serious adverse reactions."

Reactions: mawnansmiff

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I guess I implied I totally relied on my doctor for medical advice. When I was 40 my Dad told me his doctor told him to control his salt. He did, but then so did I for no real reason at all. It has worked very well for me.