Salt And Alcohol Treatment On Meerschaum?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
atsymbol.gif
Storient

What about saliva and a cotton swab?

Do you think that would be effective, or not a good idea.

Just curious... I haven't tried it on my Holmes and Watson set.

I wouldn't want to screw-up considering how long I've had them.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Your the man storient! I wish I only knew if some of these estate meers I got are decent quality.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
cool that sounds interesting. Is that some sort of signature on the side of the ugly woman pipe?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
yes I have been told they are ugly so it only seems fitting The woman could be medusa. :D

Who ever carved the man was a much better carver than the woman.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I was thinking that too but wasn't sure because I have heard some carvers put weird symbols on meers.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I'm not to worried about it. You can't even get estate briars and sometime cobs for that price. Plus I still have my storient meer which I have been grabbing more and more.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
yes I have a buddy that thinks she is so ugly that it is endearing. I think I will probably give it to him once I try and restore it.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
yeah I just don't quite have the knowledge for that right now. Have you seen the meers that look like lighthouses? They usually have a metal cap on them.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I couldn't find exactly what I was referring to but it is shaped like this one but just had bricks going up it.
A16.jpg

I really dig it. I think it would be cool to get one with the bricks going up it and then vines on top of the bricks. That is like my dream meer.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I've had a well-smoked Peterson meer since 1972. After each day's smoke, I clean it in the same way as my briars. Alcohol, using a shank brush and bristled pipe cleaner on the inside followed by a generous salting of the bowl...extra virgin olive oil on the outside, nicely buffed. It looks and smokes like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.