PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I just found out that MM does not make any hardwood pipes any more. This is sad I was going to use one for a mod and get a couple for the shop. A sad day in the world of Cobs.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'd guess it's because MM hardwoods are considered by some to be an honorary member of the cob family. First I'm hearing of them being discontinued, though.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I never did try one of their hardwoods. The blog on their website hasn't been updated since 2017, nor their twitter since 2015. Instagram is current but no mention of this. Is there an article or suchlike you can link to?

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I have one, and while it's OK I like their cobs a lot more. I rarely smoke mine, but it's come in handy for staining practice.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I had to begrudgingly admit to myself, (after smoking one of their hardwoods in rotation for a year or two) that it was a better smoker than many of my briars. Add to that the fact that it is both cheap and light...it really is a great little workhorse of a pipe.

I still think it is UGLY, it has all of the 'knocked together' look of a cob, but with none of the excuse or charm that a cob of corn has. However even in a hobby fairly concerned

with aesthetics, looks are not everything :puffy:
Isaac

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Good day all,
My thoughts above was based on findings on the MM web site. While looking for a pipe to mod the site only has the Ozark mini and the Ozark pipes, the Gentleman, Diplomat, Patriot are no longer listed.
These hardwood pipes are the simple design of the cob with most of the same smoking characteristics.
I enjoy my briars, meershaums, clays, the cob and hardwoods adds another aspect to pipe smoking. Also for a guy like me that has an issue of keeping things in their hands(due to nerve damage) these reduce the worry of damaging an expensive pipe.
A thought just occurred, that they may be out of stock but maybe not.
Have a good day

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I'm a big fan of MM cobs. I often find myself smoking one. Definitely at least half the time I smoke a pipe. That said, after reading this thread I thought I might pick up a couple wood MM pipes. I checked out some online retailers.
But, they still do nothing for me so I think I'll just stick with their cobs. YMMV
P.S. - I think if they had a rusticated version, I would find them more visually interesting. I'd buy one of those.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
phxrock, is there some confirmation on this? I don't think they were/are big sellers, but they are a simple item to produce with an MM workshop at hand. Has MM weighed in on this, or is it surmise?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At a whaling museum in upstate New York, they had an exhibit of the whaling ship sea chest containing all of a sailor's personal belongings. This was poignant to me having lived on a minesweeper with all of my possessions in a locker half the size of the lockers I had in high school. Among the prized possessions packed in the museum sea chest was a cloth drawstring bag of tobacco complete with tax stamps beside a representative pipe, for which they had selected one of the MM hardwood pipes, which I thought was a reasonable and appropriate choice. If these pipes have been discontinued, I hope they will be brought back, on whatever pretext.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I’ve got a couple of their unused hardwood minis along with some mini cigars that I just keep on hand, so I have something to offer if somebody just wants to stop and chat when I’m smoking on the front patio. I figure I don’t share my pipes, but if they’d like a taste of my tobacco, they could use one of those and keep the pipe, no takers yet, but we’ve gone through some cigars!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
the Ozark pipes, the Gentleman, Diplomat, Patriot are no longer listed.
I believe some of the a fore mentioned were initially created (If I remember correctly), due to a shortage of cobs in the sizes that were needed.Now that the correct cobs are available might be the reason for their elimination...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Virginia Smoke Shop site still lists them but I didn't click on the item to confirm. That doesn't mean they're still made.

Status
Not open for further replies.