PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fletch

Lurker
Feb 3, 2021
Wondering if any of you have any idea about this pipe that I picked up when my local B&M closed shop.
The internet brings back very few bits of information, so I thought I would turn to the pipe community for help.
What do you think? Age? Worth?
Thanks in advance - Fletch
IMG_1555.jpeg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
S Schryver was founded by Solomon Joseph Schryver (1835-1923), a Dutch immigrant who left Holland in 1859 and eventually settled in Massachussetts after spending a number of years in Maine. Some time after arriving in the Bay State Solomon opened a shop that dealt in tobacco, cigars and pipes in downtown Boston. After Solomon retired the business was taken over by his son Maurice (1872-1945) who appears to have sold it to Bieringer-Hanaeur about 1916. The shop was located at 29 School Street for at least a decade before moving in 1909 to 44 School Street. There it remained for the duration of the Schryver ownership and beyond under the new owners. Since your pipe lists the 44 School address on the label inside the case I'd say it was sold between 1909 and 1915. I have no idea who made the pipe. It's possible the Schryvers did, but on balance I think it more likely that it was made for them by someone else. Certainly they were agents for various London brands including GBD and BBB.

Fletch

Lurker
Feb 3, 2021
S Schryver was founded by Solomon Joseph Schryver (1835-1923), a Dutch immigrant who left Holland in 1859 and eventually settled in Massachussetts after spending a number of years in Maine. Some time after arriving in the Bay State Solomon opened a shop that dealt in tobacco, cigars and pipes in downtown Boston. After Solomon retired the business was taken over by his son Maurice (1872-1945) who appears to have sold it to Bieringer-Hanaeur about 1916. The shop was located at 29 School Street for at least a decade before moving in 1909 to 44 School Street. There it remained for the duration of the Schryver ownership and beyond under the new owners. Since your pipe lists the 44 School address on the label inside the case I'd say it was sold between 1909 and 1915. I have no idea who made the pipe. It's possible the Schryvers did, but on balance I think it more likely that it was made for them by someone else. Certainly they were agents for various London brands including GBD and BBB.
jguss - Fantastic! Once again, the pipe community for the win. It was a great find afterall.
I'll post more pictures when I get home.