PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I just cracked open a one year old tin or dunhill flake. It was my first aged tin I have opened. The tobacco was great however I noticed the corners of the tins were rusting a little on the inside There was no problem with the seal but I am wondering how long it will last after seeing rust after just one year. I have about 9 more of these. This was packed in a sleeve of five of which I just cracked. I live in a really dry place and they were in a storage area of my finished basement.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
If he rust is inside the tin then you can't tell but it may only be that tin (I've seen this before too).
Look for spotting of color on the outside of the tin and I'd open it if this is seen. Worse case is to open it & when you do and if dry because of a seal breach just rehydrate to smokeable.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
IMO, you don't need to worry about this. I know folks here doubted what Per Jensen from MacBaren said about tins and rusting, but I've opened 20-year-old tins that had rust along the inner top edge of the lid and the seal was 100% intact.
I think we have kind of a knee-jerk reaction to rust here that doesn't necessarily jibe with reality.
In my experience, rust along the inner edge of the lid is harmless. Rust on the body of the tin itself -- even the tiniest dot -- can be fatal to the seal.
My .02.
Bob

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
20 years later? For one year old tins, you might be able to get a replacement, but you would get a new tin with maybe the same issue. The consensus seems to be, to open all possible affected tins and jar them up for later consumption. For resale, this is of course no option.

Status
Not open for further replies.