PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This post isn't meant to be a rustication, yes or no, thread. Some like it; some don't; some don't care. Okay. I think rustication really breaks down into several categories that are different. There are carved rustications (although most are carved in some sense) that either have a close pattern or grooves, etc..) Examples of mine are a Cassano poker with a looping pattern, obviously hand done, or a Kaywoodie Ruff-Tone with basically a matte finish, no grain visible, with vertical grooves running down the bowl and shank. Then there are the uniform distressed finishes, some of them uniform enough to look almost like sandblast except they follow no grain pattern, or the Peterson rustication that is uniform but less intricately done. The most basic rustication to my mind is Stanwell's brushed black and brown, that look done with a wire brush. I actually like rustication, selectively. It adds texture and interest to pipes, and keeps the pipes' prices down, which is sometimes (often) a good thing. Does the fact that rustication often "hides" lesser briar and specific flaws sour the finish for you? I can see how pipe smokers "used to better" would find the finish too utilitarian, but it can also lend a sturdy, unpretentious look that is appealing. I like my Savinelli, Rossi, Peterson, Stanwell, Nording, BC, and other rusticated pipes. There are others that I have seen but wouldn't own. I also like the feel of most rustication, adding a little tactile interest to pipes. Do you refuse to own rusticated pipes? Do you have some you like, and what kind? This is a discussion, not a vote ... what do you think?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I don’t find most rustications very atttactive. Ive seen some Castello Sea Rocks I wouldn’t hate to own but thus far none have forced my hand into a purchase.

I have chatted with Les Wood recently and he mentioned the possibility of doing a pipe for me. I would gladly accept a Ferndown
Bark from him, as they make up the vast majority of his output (especially considering he’s retired).

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Like Bluegrassbrian, I appreciate the Castello Sea Rock style of rustication that so many carvers now use, which is done by hand with a specialized tool with metal spikes on it. Chris Askwith does it very well. I also like the rustication on OMS pipes, which are similar to the Sea Rock but with sharper edges. Maybe the Italian manufacturer of OMS pipes does not use a wire brush to smooth it out. They have a very distinct feel in the hand, which I enjoy.

Other than that style of rustication, I am indifferent to rusticated pipes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The subject isn't the either/or one that many smokers assume.

Except in rare, amazing moments of Mother Nature deciding to bestow perfection and a "pure" sandblast is the best possible presentation of a particular piece of wood, the most attractive non-smooth pipes are almost always some combination of rustication (hand carving) and blasting.

The "recipe" varies from maker to maker, but that's much of their fun. Sequential, combinatorial processes take a long time to develop and perfect.

Why bother? Straight ahead, nothing was done except vanilla blasting or vanilla hand texturing looks unsophisticated and "unfinished around the edges" in comparison.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve seen some very attractive rustication, sea coral / sea rock, pebbled (Mastro de Paja does one I think is fantastic) and the odd custom job.

I’ve also seen some hideous styles that look like a chew toy for a bored beaver, or worse yet (looking at you Peterson) that look like someone dropped a live Dremel tool in a bag of stummels and let it run until it overheated.

A well executed rustication is fine by me but the cheap and nasty kinds not so much.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
To me, the texture of a pipe in the hand is very important. So I like rusticated pipes.

At the moment I own four of them:

The first one is a very small rusticated billiard by Dagner. I'm not a fan of the brand but I do enjoy small pipes and came upon it very cheap. A really like the texture but not the look needs some work in my opinion.

The second one is a moonrock handfinished Askwith bulldog which he told me combines rustication and a proprietary finish (chemical, most likely). I love the little guy.

The third I got is an Eltang bamboo poker with his signature rustication. The finish is gorgeous to me and I believe it's achieved with a drillbit on the lathe.

The fourth is a Michael Bay (Eltang's student/protégé) bamboo billiard very similar to Eltang's style with some pattern variation. Also top notch and much cheaper than one of his master's.

I'm at the office but I can get you guys some pictures when I get home, if you want.

I would also love to put my hands on one of those lovely new rusticated Ligne Bretagne by T. Talbert, or even a Castello Searock down the line.

Reactions: dmcmtk

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Generally I do not like rustication however I have 2 Ferndowns (Les Wood connection due to silverwork) which I am very happy with. Sandblasts I have many, but overall I like smooth straight grains.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rustication has long been a cost effective way to finish factory pipes, sometimes it seems without any reference to the quality of grain. Now I think artisans are taking an interest in the possibilities and not necessarily just doing a quick cheap job, but getting creative and careful and doing interesting rustication with a lot of style.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Rustication has long been a cost effective way to finish factory pipes, sometimes it seems without any reference to the quality of grain. Now I think artisans are taking an interest in the possibilities and not necessarily just doing a quick cheap job, but getting creative and careful and doing interesting rustication with a lot of style.
A lot of really nice pipes have rusticated finishes. ie; Castello, Caminetto, Castania, Boswell, Ardor, Cavicchi and more. It seems the Italians really seem to like it, and generally do a very nice job of it. I have noticed a lot of artisans getting into it lately. I think the creative possibilities of rustication are endless. Also, the texture that can be achieved with deep rustication is unparalleled wit any other finish. I’m the kind of guy that likes to hold the pipe more so than clinch. I like to let my fingers wander over the surface, and a good rustication or blast is more captivating to the touch than a smooth finish for me. I have examples of excellent rustication from brands such as Caminetto and Castania, and I have examples of sub-par rustication from brands such as Kaywoodie and Peterson (though Peterson does a good one now and then). I still love a nicely grained smooth finish, but I definitely prefer texture.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I do enjoy my Sea Rock finished pipes, for their deep cragginess. You can also often see the wire brush marks that smoothed down the crags.

The rustication that leaves me cold is the spot-carved, partially rusticated type. It looks far more like a spot was rusticated to conceal a flaw, with the rest left smooth. I can't help but just wonder what the flaw was, rather than appreciate the finish.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those are some spectacular artisan rustications pictured above, extra hours and originality on display. Not to compare apples with oranges, but some of the old U.S. factory pipe rustication, though assembly line and not artisanal in the usual sense, were quite effective. To leap to the econo-pipe category, I think the Yello-Bole Checker series had a certain folksy appeal, obviously done by practiced craftsmen, providing an interesting textured geometric in probably a few minutes. There are many examples, some awful, but many fetching in their way.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A lot of really nice pipes have rusticated finishes. ie; Castello, Caminetto, Castania, Boswell, Ardor, Cavicchi and more. It seems the Italians really seem to like it, and generally do a very nice job of it. I have noticed a lot of artisans getting into it lately. I think the creative possibilities of rustication are endless. Also, the texture that can be achieved with deep rustication is unparalleled wit any other finish. I’m the kind of guy that likes to hold the pipe more so than clinch. I like to let my fingers wander over the surface, and a good rustication or blast is more captivating to the touch than a smooth finish for me. I have examples of excellent rustication from brands such as Caminetto and Castania, and I have examples of sub-par rustication from brands such as Kaywoodie and Peterson (though Peterson does a good one now and then). I still love a nicely grained smooth finish, but I definitely prefer texture.
Agreed. Look at the Meteora rustication. It’s beautiful ... almost art.
C58AB708-F06F-4287-846C-7A50CC1AD165.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.